C Band or D Band for AT Wireless?

• Members

I just noticed there's a rebate on Audio Technica wireless systems at Sweetwater - was considering the Audio-Technica ATW-3141 for a while anyway... but which band do I need - C or D?

I understand that it depends on my area but how do I determine which has more available channels in my area (I'm in zip 07803).

Also - I looked on AudioEast.com but those guys don't seem to have a Microphone category... am I wrong?

Anyway, thx & a very Happy New Year to All :)

• Members

Don't Audio Technica have a tool on their website to calculate the best frequency band for your area?

Dennis

Excellent - they do, right here :wave:

For my zip, it shows more available wireless channels/frequencies in Band D than Band C, so that's exactly the info I was looking for - thanks! :thu:

• Members

Here's a list of DTV in your area.

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProFacLookup.php?sCurrentService=TV&tabSearchType=Within+Search&ArchiveRecords=N&sKilometers=50&sLatitude=40-52-29&sLongitude=74-36-13&sZip=07803

Nice list, Don - but I'm not clear on what I do with it... :confused: - - whereas the Audio Technica website you just plug in your zip code and it tells you the available frequencies.

• Members

Available space depends entirely on your location.

The TV station on this list are in towns that are at least 25, 30 miles away or more, with one exception - Morristown, NJ, which is about 15 miles away. Does that mean the only one that is using frequencies that I can't use w/a wireless rig is the Morristown station?

• Members

DTV station can cause interference to 100 - 150 miles.

Before DTV you could find available channels in the middle of analog TV channels ... but no longer. Digital uses up the whole 6meg allotted to it (and in some cases spills over a little bit).

So C block (AT) is TV channels 26-29. Channels 28 and 29 are in use in your area, that leaves channels 26 and 27 (and a hair into ch25). I'm guessing (because I haven't actually measured it) that a 3000 series can run about 8 channels in a TV channel so if you get a C block (probably your best bet) you will have about 12-18 "real" channels available. These channels would be subject to any localized interference. It's hard to read about hundreds or thousands of available channels that seem to be available ... in the real world it's a LOT smaller.

Now if you get on the tour bus ... you are on your own:thu:

Archived