Orange Micro Terror breakup when fully cranked

• Members

Hi everyone,

I'm on the fence on whether I should purchase either the Orange Micro Terror. I'm using a TOOB Metro 6.5GP+ cabinet (a closed back 6.5 inch cabinet with a speaker similar to an Eminence Beta/Alpha) and a Quilter Microblock 45 right now as my main setup. When I crank the micro block 45 all the way up, unsurprisingly, the breakup is very nasty and unpleasant with it being a solid state head. I remember owning a Fender Super Champ XD back in the day and it sounded really good when it was on the verge of breakup and great cranked. The big difference between that and the Micro Terror is the Super Champ has a solid state/digital preamp and a tube power amp, and the Orange has a tube preamp and solid state power amp. Would the Micro Terror get nasty and fizzy like a solid state amp would when cranked? Would the 20 watts on the Micro Terror be the equivalent of 20 tube watts, 20 solid state watts, or somewhere in between?

Does anyone know if the Micro Terror will work both in the US and in other parts of the world like in the EU assuming I have the correct adapter plug? In other words, does the voltage specs on the power supply say something like 120-240V?

• Members

If you drive the Micro Terror hard enough for power amp breakup you'll get SS amp breakup because it has a SS power amp. The Super Champ sounds different because it's a tube amp. The Micro Terror will be 20 SS Watts because the power amp, which is where the rating comes from, is SS. IMHO, it would be a step backward from your Quilter. If you want tube breakup, look for a tube amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Although I like the 'terror' series amps for their portability, and the 'clean to slightly dirty' tone, I've been underwhelmed by their OD...because using tubes to push a SS power section gets you very little.

The Quilter is a better all around amp, but if you don't like the OD tone, put something like a Bad Monkey or a TS808  in front of it.