TalkBass is DEAD (well, not anymore it isn't)

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

Update, 4/9/21, about 7 pm CDT, TalkBass is back online and seems to be running more or less normally. 

4/09/2021: Edited the subject line for improved truthiness and less trolly-ness. :-)  

Rest in Peace, fellow music related forum. 

It's actually a nice forum, even though they're fairly strict about moderating posts and users. The sub forums where I tend to hang out (Amps & Cabs, Pickups & Electronics, Recording Gear) have decent traffic. Here's hoping they get their operation back online soon. 

• Members
2 hours ago, lug said:

I heard somewhere that there was a fire at the server site. 

Their Facebook page said the data center they use was load-testing a backup generator, and that somehow caused a fire to break out.  Never mind the fact the data centers (at least the ones I've been in) have extensive, automatic fire-suppression systems that use Halon or CO2, but for some reason the local fire department hosed the data center down with water. 

I only hang out there 'cause this place is a ghost town. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Taustin Powers said:

There are two threads here that have seen posts this month. And three more that have last been active last month. Not quite the HCBF it used to be... :( 

No, it's not.

People left, and never came back.

• Moderators

Message from TalkBass:

TalkBass is currently offline due to a catastrophic fire and subsequent fire-suppressant water damage at the datacenter where our servers are hosted.

We have been offline since the evening of Sunday April 4th. Power restoration has been slower than anticipated, as has any info on the possible damage to our servers.

While this is deeply frustrating, please know we are doing everything we can to get TalkBass back online as soon as possible.

Offsite backups were automatically maintained up until the incident, so if deemed the best course we will spin up new servers and start to rebuild from backups.

Thank you for your patience during this time. We've been online for over 20 years, and we will get through this!

Happy bassing to all, I so look forward to seeing you soon.

Paul Determan (Founder and owner)

• Mr.Grumpy changed the title to TalkBass is DEAD (temporarily)
  • Mr.Grumpy changed the title to TalkBass is DEAD (well, not anymore it isn't)

Archived