• Members

I'm looking to add two more monitors. Right now I have a pair of Peavey SP-15M, and then a couple of no-name generics that ... well, they aren't that good. I drive the Peaveys with a QSC RMX-2450 (one per side at 500W/8 Ohms, the RMS rating of the speakers).

I have an RMX-850 that I use to drive the generic monitors, but I'm wanting to upgrade them. At the moment I'm leaning toward one of two options:

1. Pick up a pair of Peavey SP-12M or SP-15M monitors so I have "matching" monitors, or...

2. Grab a pair of powered monitors (or something like the QSC K-12 that can function as a main or a monitor), which would free up the RMX-850 to function as a backup amp in case something went wrong at a show.

I'm just not sure which way to go with this. The monitors will have vocals and keys in them most of the time, and that's about it. Any ideas?

• Members
I drive the Peaveys with a QSC RMX-2450 (one per side at 500W/8 Ohms, the RMS rating of the speakers).

Just as an aside - just because they are rated at 500w you don't have to drive them with that much. I've never had an RMX850 not get the job done for monitors on a small to medium sized stage. I suppose if you have the monitors 10+ feet in front of the talent and/or they're spread out 10+ feet from each other more power is needed ;). The band I mostly do sound for had an RMX2450 on monitors and I talked them into swapping it for two RMX850's and I have yet to see the clip limiter lights flicker on them :cool:.

• Members

Well, I use the 2450 to drive them so I have it available in case my mains amp dies. ;) Right now my amp rack has one PL236 (subs), two RMX-2450 (mains, monitors) and one RMX-850 (monitors/spare). If one dies I just shift everything else down and lose a couple of potential monitor mixes. So far nothing has died on me, but I like to be as prepared as I can be.

aged, does the K10 have the cabinet shaped for use as a monitor? I was thinking that was only the K12, but I haven't used them so maybe I'm wrong about that. If it's set up to be used as a monitor I'm definitely interested in it.

edit: As I look at it online, it appears the K10 does have monitor capabilities. Now I'm REALLY interested. :)

• Members
Well, I use the 2450 to drive them so I have it available in case my mains amp dies.
;)
Right now my amp rack has one PL236 (subs), two RMX-2450 (mains, monitors) and one RMX-850 (monitors/spare). If one dies I just shift everything else down and lose a couple of potential monitor mixes.

If a mains or sub amp went teats up on me I'd just run mains off one side and subs off the other of the remaining amp rather than cannibalize two of my monitor mixes but then I don't like carrying heavy spare stuff :lol:. I also don't like running monitor amps that can easily blow up my monitors but as yours are rated at 500w you don't have that problem - plus you can use one of them monitors as a main if you were to lose one :cool:.

• Members

If a mains or sub amp went teats up on me I'd just run mains off one side and subs off the other of the remaining amp rather than cannibalize two of my monitor mixes but then I don't like carrying heavy spare stuff
:lol:
. I also don't like running monitor amps that can easily blow up my monitors but as yours are rated at 500w you don't have that problem - plus you can use one of them monitors as a main if you were to loose one
:cool:

Thankfully, my power amp rack has large wheels and I bring people to help me whenever stairs are involved. :D

Archived