Updating an older Danelectro Longhorn

ThudMaker

• Moderators

Tagging along with Isaac42's cheap bass thread, years ago I bought a Longhorn because I loved the look and I didn't have a short scale, so it all made sense. Of course I couldn't handle the tone and some of the cheapness of the feel from the tuners and the plastic concentric knobs and the wood on the bridge. I get the bass was originally designed for the dub dub sound, but not for me. That white tape around the body was the first thing I customized. It took it off. It looked cheap. It wasn't charm. Next thing I did was a couple of years later was buy an all metal bridge for sustain. The rosewood bridge had to go! The new bridge also allowed each string to be  individually intonated. So...wait a few more years, I'm sitting around during Covid time and finally decided to finish that project. I purchased chrome tuners with chrome keys instead of the ivory. the screw holes lined up very well. The last bit that was difficult was replacing the plastic concentric knobs. The knobs and the pots are proprietary. Checking the Dano parts online, they had some chrome concentric knobs, but were sold out. So I did something better. I bought a couple of concentric 250k mini-pots (Dano I think is 100k/1 meg), soldered them up and used a .47 cap just like most basses I have, and put the chrome concentric knobs on. Done! It sounds really good. Much better than previous, IMHO!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 1/20/2021 at 9:10 AM, lug said:

There seems to be an amazing lack of pictures of said bass...................

I wasn't sure how to get them here since Photobucket is no longer. Perhaps I can take pics and upload? I will do that later this evening.

• Members
3 hours ago, ThudMaker said:

I wasn't sure how to get them here since Photobucket is no longer. Perhaps I can take pics and upload? I will do that later this evening.

1) Take pictures.

2) edit them to be 1800dpi at it's widest.

3) drag or choose files, like it says below where you type.

4) let the world enjoy.

• Moderators

So here are a few pics. I really enjoy playing this now. It has it's bumps and bruises but plays like a new bass. Not sure if I should get a custom pickguard or not. Something that looks like tan rattlesnake or something like that. I'm leaning to keeping it as is.

LonghornBody.jpg

LonghornKnobsBridge.jpg

longhorntuners.jpg

Longhornwall.jpg

Archived