I just got my first gig since COVID shut us down.

• Moderators

Notes, consider yourself lucky...both on a future booking [I have ZERO...😢] and being financially stable [I'm pretty close...:thu:]

but you already know what a lucky so-and-so you are😎

• Members

The places that cancelled me for November and December of 2020 are now calling to rebook for this coming November and December. I was booked about 50% already for the end of 2021 and 2022 season (Nov to April). People are filling in the empty dates for 2022 as well. So, hopefully I'll have a big 2022 season if we get the covid calmed down and the vaccine in peoples arms this spring and summer. I'll hate if it drags on, and the venues will have to cancel the dates they just rebooked.

• Members
2 hours ago, leftyjay said:

So, hopefully I'll have a big 2022 season if we get the covid calmed down and the vaccine in peoples arms this spring and summer.

I would hope that things will be at least semi under control by November, knock on wood.

• Members

Nothing in 2022 yet, but I've got three in February 2021. I'm doing Valentine's weekend as a solo and a band taping for Coastal Jazz Winter Festival with Dalannah.  https://www.coastaljazz.ca/event/dalannah-gail-bowen

I'm still picky about which gigs I take, but because I'm an essential visitor for my Mother, I got part one of the Pfizer jab last Friday. Not sure when part two will be, as the plant in Belgium is temporarily closed, and Canada doesn't get any product from Kalamazoo.

My current gig status reminds me of Grade 9 and 10, when my band would play 5 to 10 gigs a year, and we would think we were really making it :)

Edited by Shaster
  • Members

The new owner of the place where we played 12 consecutive one-day-per-week during the winter season just told me 'perhaps next year'. Right now they don't have enough business to warrant hiring a band on a weekday.

The weekend crowd is very different and we aren't appropriate for that, so I didn't even ask.

That's probably for the best. Without the Canadian and Northern USA tourists and winter residents, we might not be able to generate enough profit for us to be worth our pay. I'd rather not have them have us and run at a loss.

Leilani and I get our next Moderna shot early next month. The appointment is made and the vaccines reserved.

Things are looking up!!!

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
19 hours ago, daddymack said:

let's hope there is still a supply available in 3 weeks to a month....:rolleyes2:

I think Cleveland Clinic reserves one when you make an appointment. And with a new President/Administration there is some hope that they will handle this better than the old one (I guy can dream, can't he?)

Back on topic:

Now I have two gigs in early 2022!!! Twice as many as I had a week ago.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Well I did the taping for Coastal Jazz, that went well. We all had our masks on except for the singer, who had this floor to ceiling plexi in front of her. Everyone was standing apart and I didn't feel too nervous, especially as I've had my first Pfizer shot. My Valentine's gigs went sideways, sort of a disagreement with me and the higher ups. They wanted some singing, and I didn't think it was appropriate. Just as well, it was quite the snow storm over the Valentine's Day weekend. Plus, the hotel is now one of the official isolation hotels for air travellers. Thanks, but no thanks

Spending my time rediscovering my mothballed guitars and reconfiguring my pedalboards (over and over again). Looking to build a looper rig just for fun.

If all goes well, I'll get my second Pfizer shot next week.

• Like 1
  • Members

Maybe it's a difference in the area, but:

I have played 8 paying shows over the last three weekends, one of which was virtual.  Audiences were smaller (covid-limited), but present for the other 7.  I have another 6 nights booked in early May, and I was offered a 6-night show in April that I had to turn down due to conflict with my daughter's wedding.  I also have a few nights booked in June and October.

Even better, I am scheduled to get the vaccine 1st dose tomorrow afternoon.

It's not back to what it used to be, but it's coming back .......  slowly.......

Edited by SteinbergerHack