Yorkville "Synergy" Tapped Horn 15 inch subwoofer

• Members

I see Yorkville has added new products to their Synergy Line. The new Tapped Horn designed 15 inch woofer sub looks interesting. 3 db's down at 31hz. 135 db peak output with an amp that is rated at 9000 watts peak. Even if you dropped that 9000 watt peak amp down 6 db's your looking at a 2250 watt rms amp. Looks to be a little beast. Time will tell but I am going to keep an eye on it. I wonder what the pricing will be?

Doug

https://yorkville.com/synergy/product/sa115s/

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm using RCF gear these days, but I was heavy into Yorkville gear in the 1990s and early 2000s.  I'm in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY and their USA distribution warehouse was a 25 ride up the Niagara Falls.  If I wanted something in a hurry, I'd order at the music store and go pick-up.

So, I looked at webpage for the subwoofer and clicked on the last photo where they have three next to each other.  Why do manufacturers show three together?  I thought with coupling, you have to double it to notice a gain - 1 sub, 2 subs, 4 subs, 8 subs, etc.  How much coupling gain is there from three?

• Members
15 hours ago, jgthatsme said:

I'm using RCF gear these days, but I was heavy into Yorkville gear in the 1990s and early 2000s.  I'm in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY and their USA distribution warehouse was a 25 ride up the Niagara Falls.  If I wanted something in a hurry, I'd order at the music store and go pick-up.

So, I looked at webpage for the subwoofer and clicked on the last photo where they have three next to each other.  Why do manufacturers show three together?  I thought with coupling, you have to double it to notice a gain - 1 sub, 2 subs, 4 subs, 8 subs, etc.  How much coupling gain is there from three?

With subs placed together side to side you gain 6 db's going from 1 to 2. Double the surface area 3 db increase, double the wattage another 3 db's. I've measured this many times with smaart.   Add 1 more you'd gain roughly 3 db's more. To get the true 6 db increase as you said you'd go 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8 etc. until the size of the sub cluster is larger than the frequency being reproduced. ( in a perfect world ) This is all of course how the subs are clustered. In a line in front or in a square cluster etc. So going from 1 sub to 3 subs, properly coupled , you'd gain 9 db's in output. Most people feel 10 db's is twice as loud so very close to twice as loud. I can't comment on Yorkvilles thought on this setup but maybe they feel 3 subs is a good match for 2 of the tops? At this point I have only looked at this sub not the tops so I can't say either way for sure. 

Doug

Archived