Have Tanglewoods changed?!

Brindleleaf

• Members

I remember being impressed back in the day by the Tanglewoods I tried before I got my first guitar.

Recently I seem to remember something about the company completely changing (quality, manufacturing process..idk!?)

Anyone know anything about this?

(Looking for a first guitar for my son and there are a lot of Tangkewoods up for sale).

• Members

Hey Brindleleaf

Tanglewood is a UK company founded in 1988. They out-source manufacturing but have in-house design and QC. Their early models (made in Korea) were excellent instruments. I have a 1995 Tanglewood Earth 200 all-solid spruce over mahogany guitar that plays and sounds very good indeed. Like most other makers they have moved production around over the years and now use China for sourcing their instruments.

I must confess that it's a few years since I last played one so can't really say if the quality has changed but I would be very, very surprised if it has. They are the UK's top selling  brand and you don't achieve that status by selling poor quality guitars.

• Members

I was under the impression that Tanglewoods had always been made in China but if they were made in Korea at one time it's possible. Several years ago Cort moved the production of Ibanez acoustics from Korea to China and the quality, at least in terms of finish, took a nosedive. Still, there's no substitute for a hands on evaluation.

• Members

I have never seen a Tanglewood Guitar.

Just buy him a Gibson, Martin or Taylor. Get him an amp to plug into too. Like a Fishman Loudbox. Tell his this will be the first and last instrument you will ever buy him. Since it came out of his college funds, he will not be going and will also need to learn songs quickly  to support the family. As an investor you except a high return in your investment asap.   50% spilt as the dad manager should be fine. 

Get him to sign some paper work, so you don't get screwed.

• Members

As it happens, I knew a girl in high school (although not well) who owned a Gibson flat top as what was probably her first guitar. However, most of us aren't that lucky. And TBH a Tanglewood or similar will serve most folks just fine, even experienced players.

• Members
On 1/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, DeepEnd said:

I was under the impression that Tanglewoods had always been made in China but if they were made in Korea at one time it's possible. Several years ago Cort moved the production of Ibanez acoustics from Korea to China and the quality, at least in terms of finish, took a nosedive. Still, there's no substitute for a hands on evaluation.

Tanglewood used the Cort Korean factory from their launch in 1988. Their "Earth" series guitars were made there at least until the mid 90's.

• Members

Thanks for the input everyone...looks like I'm not risking much if I grab one cheap. 😁

Oh...and my son is studying to be a sound engineer..I figure I won't interfere with that...could come in handy when my career bursts into life...one day...maybe....if I work alot...(harder 😟).

Archived