A NGD, and it's NOT used!

badpenguin

• Members

Hey all,

The other day, my beloved wife and I went down to Orlando. No Not for the Disney mind melting crap, but to go and enjoy a brit pub we both love, BEST fish and chips anywhere! And while down there, did the usual pawning, and went down to my fav vintage place. And sadly, found nothing that I wanted to come home with. Ok, I'm lying. Of course there was, but I can't afford/justify a 49 Super 400CES with added 1962 humbuckers. (7K, but God.... it was wonderful) So on the way home, stopped in Daytona and visited another of our fav food places, then at the last pawn shop, found her.

As I was considering a Yamaha something something 630, my pointed and whispered..."What about the Peerless?" "Uhhh, WHAT Peerless babe?" And as I followed her finger, saw her. A NOS 2013 Tonemaster Player. Did I mention is was New Old Stock? Plastic on the pickguard, plastic on the truss rod cover, and yes, still on the pickups too! One minor scratch on the Bigsby arm, but otherwise.... New. So I played her, and played her, and played with the Bigsby, and sat grinning like an idiot as my wife asked about a case. They didn't have the original, they sold that without realizing it went with this guitar, but found a newish one that fit perfectly.

Of course she came home with me. She HAD to. 

GEDC1492.thumb.JPG.d2f40f50cb19a9e4281d23920014d0aa.JPG

GEDC1489.thumb.JPG.1304b860f1fd58d9652c3be1a7cb79de.JPG

GEDC1490.thumb.JPG.446785e659c9490cf505ef252fd9bf6f.JPG

GEDC1488.thumb.JPG.8404265ff837ffe31c91dfa2c38908c4.JPG

First impressions: The fit and finish is near FLAWLESS.  From the tulip lip headstock, down to the lower bout, which is a big 16", it's perfect. Yes, the lower 5 frets on the treble side could use a touch of filing due to fret spout. But I think that's because she sat for 7 years un-played. She's a thick girl, at 3", but she sits comfortably in a lap. She's perfectly balanced, and stays where you want her. Acoustically, she's on the loud side, able to keep up with an acoustic jam session.

Electronics are the standard Korean. Which means neither great or crappy. LOVE the sound of the neck pickup. It's boomy, but in a good way. Well balanced where each note of the chord are definable. The bridge is a bit on the thin side to my ears, but a little touch of the boost pedal can fix that. I don't understand the rosewood bridge on a Bigsby guitar, and I have thoughts on changing it to a tun-a-matic or a roller bridge, but I love the sound of it. We will see if the trem eats thru the bridge. And the price for all of this Korean beauty?  A hair over $450 with tax.

• Members

I don't  know much about Peerless guitars, but the make  ok furnaces.

What I am guessing is the Bigsby was added.

Might be a B6, might be a B7

My wife never ask me anything bout playing gear, but how long are you gonna leave this one in the living room.

I let her know that my next wife will definitely be a bit more understanding.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

I don't  know much about Peerless guitars, but the make  ok furnaces.

What I am guessing is the Bigsby was added.

Might be a B6, might be a B7

My wife never ask me anything bout playing gear, but how long are you gonna leave this one in the living room.

I let her know that my next wife will definitely be a bit more understanding.

Nope, the Bigsby is factory stock, it's a B60.

• Members

Seems to be a hollowbody, given floating wood bridge...  am I right? That Bigsby would make me worry a tad as it's got that one anchor screw on the soundboard. I've seen split tops where someone puts that model on a full hollow body, maybe on this forum. If it is hollow, I wonder if putting a little block under that screw to reinforce.

Not a fan of clear pickguards... maybe get some black contact paper (or other color) and put on underside of guard? Easy to do, bit of fun & give more of a vintage look, hide the support hardware

Other than that, lovely guitar, great price, yada yada

• Members

I have to agree with daddymack. Peerless, Eastman, D'aAngelico and Ibanez are building hollows so much better then the American name brands, that it's almost laughable. Seriously, play an Ibanez Benson for about 1200, then play a Gibson 175 for about 3 times the price, and see if the Gibby is worth it. Or any of the Eastman archtops, ACTUALLY carved spruce like they did in the 30's and 40, and then play a laminate Gibson at the same price. there is no comparison!

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Mikeo said:

:facepalm:

Still a label slave, eh? The guitar world is changing around us, and we need to pay attention.

badpenguin, who probably has more guitars than you and I combined [and we both have plenty], is absolutely right. Eastman and the upper end D'Angelicos will, $ for $, beat anything the Big 5 USA builders [Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Guild] are doing domestically, with better detail and QC. Collings is doing it as well, although their price is much closer to the big guys, their dedication to quality sets them above.

Wilder still, some of the instruments coming out of Asia are as good or better than the American-made instruments they emulated. Really a sad situation for American manufacturing, once the envy of the world, is now noted for sloppy workmanship and lackluster QC. Arguably some Asian builds are lacking on the electronics side, but the actual construction, the use of tonewoods and finishes, are gaining ground all the time.

Archived