P90 Sounding P/U For A Single Coil Space

ksl

• Members

Hi all,,, I know a P90 is a breed all it's own, & anything less or smaller is less, BUT is there anything out there that really comes close to that vibe, noisy or noise-free? I'm more concerned about the sound than the noise.

Thanks in advance & happy new year!!

• ksl changed the title to P90 Sounding P/U For A Single Coil Space
  • Moderators

ksl, let me make sure I understand you correctly, you want a p-90 sound from a single coil style p-up?

Bridge, neck or both?

I have a couple I could suggest, the first being the Duncan STL-3/STR-3 Quarter Pound Tele p-up, which, for the price, is about as close as I think you could get; the other being a TV Jones Starwood, which would run about twice the cost of the Duncan. Both of these are made for Telecasters.

If this is for a Stratocaster slot, the Duncan Strat-Bro 90 is about the only one I've heard and they are pricey!

I have a Fender Tele with P-90s, and had looked for replacements for my tele copy [semi modded] that would get me closer to the Fender's tone, those two were the best options I found, but I ultimately decided to leave the Tele pups alone [for now; I have a Buzz Feiten Tele bridge p-up waiting to go in there when I change the bridge, once I get my work bench cleaned off], mainly because the pickups would cost more than I paid for the guitar.

• Members

The TV Jones Starwood suggested by daddymack and the S90 that mrbrown49 mentioned are great choices.

Another option I like for everything from p90 to strat to tele bridge sounds is the MFD pickups by G&L. To me their strat sized MFD is the most versatile single coil pickup ever wound, slight tweaks to total pickup height and pole to pole height can produce any sound your heart desires. 

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/g-l-mfd-pickup-for-s-500

Archived