Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Happy New Year everyone. Let us hope that it is a better one.

A letter to the Archaeologia Cambrensis in 1849 described an old New Year Day custom in Pembrokeshire, South Wales where the children of the village collected water from the well and sprinkled droplets of water (called "levy-dew") onto passers-by whilst singing a rhyme. The words were used by Walter de la Mare under the title "A New Year Carol" in his 1931 book "Tom Tiddler's Ground" where it was seen in 1934 by British composer Benjamin Britten who composed a melody for it.

"A New Year Carol" (Trad. / Benjamin Britten)

https://app.box.com/s/85i3odgwxa0y8tkubmvd42112ly698ch

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levy-Dew

Levy dew.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Good post, good spirit and interesting stuff. I can visualize children wandering through the town singing this, sprinkling water in the faces of people they meet, and some of the people ducking saying they already gave (suffered the solicitation) on a previous street corner. I suppose this harks back to one of history's lessons (going forward) about not going out on the first day of the new year to avoid the crazies.

Re: 2021. Not recognizing it until I can see the trailer. Any mail received in 2021 will be returned and marked: "Return to sender, annum unknown".

 

Good song and well played, sir.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
18 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

garthman - Well done. As I've said before, it's hard to go wrong with Dylan.

Thanks, Deep. But contrary to what you say I've heard some very, very wrong Dylan covers LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
8 hours ago, garthman said:

Thanks, Deep. But contrary to what you say I've heard some very, very wrong Dylan covers LOL

Okay then, how about "Dylan is as good a choice as any"? 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay, here's my latest, short but I hope sweet. Our church launched a project for Lent in which various musically inclined members would take a Bible verse (or two) from a list, usually from the Psalms, and set them to music (with the stipulation that you have to use the exact words of the verse) to help folks remember them. Other members are creating original art to go along with the verses. I chose Psalm 18:18-19. The art for that verse will include a rainbow and/or landscape. I used the passage twice and wrote a bridge with a reference to rainbows. Herewith, I present "God Delighted in Me." https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/god-delighted-in-me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello pickers.  I wasn't sure this place still existed.  I decided I would look around and was amazed to find that I could even sign in.  Not sure how long it's been but I'm kind of happy.  Used to have a lot of stupid arguments about bridge pins and Laminate versus solid wood B/S.  What for, I can't remember.  Had too much time on my hands I suppose.  I first came here in March of 2006.  That's been about 30 guitars ago, LOL.

Anyway, Just thought I'd stop by and say hi and see if anybody wanted to argue about the best way to mic an acoustic guitar for recording.

 

Garthman. You still sound like Roger Waters to me.  Loved your Dylan tune.

Deepend. Glad to see you are here.

Freeman, Joe, Misha, Carman, Queequeg Kwak (I'll have to dig back in my memory, there were so many good players on here.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
16 hours ago, recordingtrack1 said:

Hello pickers.  I wasn't sure this place still existed.  I decided I would look around and was amazed to find that I could even sign in.  Not sure how long it's been but I'm kind of happy.  Used to have a lot of stupid arguments about bridge pins and Laminate versus solid wood B/S.  What for, I can't remember.  Had too much time on my hands I suppose.  I first came here in March of 2006.  That's been about 30 guitars ago, LOL.

Anyway, Just thought I'd stop by and say hi and see if anybody wanted to argue about the best way to mic an acoustic guitar for recording.

 

Garthman. You still sound like Roger Waters to me.  Loved your Dylan tune.

Deepend. Glad to see you are here.

Freeman, Joe, Misha, Carman, Queequeg Kwak (I'll have to dig back in my memory, there were so many good players on here.)

Well, well. Very long time, no see. Welcome back. And thanks for your kind comments.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 2/27/2021 at 3:11 PM, recordingtrack1 said:

Hello pickers.  I wasn't sure this place still existed.

Hi and good to hear from you again. We're here but sometimes I wonder why. Anyhoo, don't be such a stranger. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/1/2021 at 8:19 PM, DeepEnd said:

Hi and good to hear from you again. We're here but sometimes I wonder why. Anyhoo, don't be such a stranger. ;)

Thank you DeepEnd.  I will try to drop by and say hello occassionally.  Hope you are doing well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...