Dunlop GCB-95 Wahs

BAZ_BO

• Members

I was going through some old boxes and dug these 2 wahs out. I actually recall putting them away as I had a rare 60's Vox wah with the Fasel inductor that I just loved but it was stolen and I just moved away from wahs.

So these both look to be different era/manufacturing etc and I noticed one has epoxy around the the inductor and it's actually smaller than the other wah. I was thinking of modding one of them, buying a Red Fasel but was wondering if anyone that knows a lot more about these could maybe give me a build date and an idea which one would be the better base to work with? I got 1 given to me and traded for the other and one looks like it might have been modded (true bypass?) but I can't tell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

GCB-95 Wahs.jpg

2009445393_GCB-95Wahs.thumb.jpg.846abc5be8bc1de18d2114a2e66af0e9.jpg

• Members

I think these are late 80s to 90s versions, but that's just a guess on my part, based on when I last bought a new wah pedal. They're very similar, so I don't think it matters which one you decide to mod. I don't know what the blue wire or shrink tubing is on the left hand one...it's not true bypass because it still has the stock "tone sucking" footswitch. 

Yours has the "classic" two-transistor circuit. More recent versions of the CryBaby have a third transistor for an input buffer so there's less tone suck even though the input is always connected to the pedal circuit. They also have circuit-board mounted input and output jacks, so they're harder to modify for true  bypass. 

The modding possibilities with these are almost endless. 

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axiswah.php

Archived