TRUSS Issues,,, how do YOU spell relief??

ksl

• Members

G'evnin' all~ Lotsa folks have trust issues, but I have a truss issue,, nothing too serious or something a shim couldn't remedy, BUT I want to get a touch more bow to the neck. This is a '71 Harmony Marquis, (strangely similar to the then future Fender Lead) and that piece resting on top, is the bolt that screws on to that exposed truss,and as you turn it clockwise is definitely the wrong way, & I'm out of any room to create just a touch of some bow. So, before I get really daring and get the vice grips out to try to nudge the truss, my gut tells me to turn it counterclockwise, but I can do everything but necks & frets, other than a slight truss adjust on my Breedlove 12 strings,,,,    So, before I take on this task, which direction would I turn that exposed truss, again, to add an ever so slight bow? Anything else I should attempt to try to get me to the same place?

Many that in advance, stay safe & be well all~

Kenny

20201211_185601.jpg

20201211_185601.thumb.jpg.ffd1a202e4c7496da6cc787665d8204b.jpg

• Members

Yeah, not enough relief,,, it's not terrible, & I'm not buzzing out too bad, but just curious to know if there's any way of getting some upward motion? What does that bolt exactly do, pull on the truss? Anyway  I have some new 50mm E to e saddles coming cuz the ones it came with are closer to 52mm, & everything's not seated perfectly.

Thanks for the cautionary advise. 

Kenny

Screenshot_20200229-204056_Reverb.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-204110_Reverb.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-204056_Reverb.thumb.jpg.410116660eb9b8c7f80058e8a1ded920.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-204110_Reverb.thumb.jpg.239d1bb21bf8769cab8f58471c8c17e2.jpg

• Members

This is a common problem, but the fix definitely doesn't involve attacking the truss rod with vice grips. I recommend consulting a professional before you destroy the guitar.

You seem to have a constant supply of instruments needing repair. Are you doing this for other people, or buying and flipping them after you've had a go with them?

• Members

The answer doesn't lie with the truss rod. If you're getting slight buzzing the quick and simple solution is to raise the action. The next cheapest option is to go to heavier strings, they'll add some relief but probably not enough to count. Finally, take a credit card and check for any high frets. You can file any that need it or have them done.

• Moderators

Let us step back a moment...you do realize that these 'Harmony' guitars were not quality instruments and the fact that the neck won't play nice anymore is indicative of that.

That 'bolt' is the end of the truss rod, and the other end is, as noted, a fixed point, no rotation. I will wholeheartedly agree with Mr.Brown, on 'do not try to move the actual rod'.:eek2:

The 'nut' alters the tension by being forced against the wood of the neck, trying to 'shorten' or 'lengthen' it by fractional, minuscule amounts that the wood reacts to by 'bowing' or relaxing against the tension of the strings.. Please put the nut back on and get it 'hand tight', and let the neck react to the string tension.

If you can't get the 'bow', then toss that crap neck and order a new one from Stew Mac, Mighty Mite, or, worst case, Guitar Fetish.

Here's ultra-guru

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

If you can't get the 'bow', then toss that crap neck and order a new one from Stew Mac, Mighty Mite, or, worst case, Guitar Fetish.

A Mighty Mite Strat style neck will cost around $120 shipped. The OP could get a whole used Squier for that. I spent 'way more than I should've trying to turn a Fernandes Strat into something it wasn't. IMHO, if raising the action slightly doesn't eliminate the slight buzz it isn't worth the investment.

• Members
8 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Heavier strings. Try a set of 11's, with the truss nut hand tightened, and you'll get that slight bow you are looking for.

I suggested that a week and a half ago. Time for the OP to act on the advice he's been getting.

Archived