Good, affordable desktop for home recording, without latency?

• Members

I'm recewntly retired and want to use much of my extra time recording original songs, and I'm going to needa decent, affordable desktop computer that doen't bog me down in latency. What are the specs I should ook for, and does anyone have recommendations for a desktop with which I can record without latency right out of the box? 

• Moderators

I don't think it requires a very powerful computer to record with acceptable latency. I think any computer with an Intel i5 processor equivalent or greater will be good enough. Both my desktop and laptop use i5 and the latency was never an issue. I get around 8ms of latency. Just make sure you use a decent audio interface with good and up-to-date drivers.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I picked up a "renewed" Dell laptop with a Ryzen 5 (4 cores, 8 threads) processor (i7 class) with 8 GB memory and 256GK SSD that kicks arse for $300 a while back. I'd recommend something of those specs unless you are on a really tight budget.
I just ordered a 27" quadHD screen (recommended to me as the optimum size for Reaper) and a Logitech M575 trackball. Just need a wireless keyboard now ...