Current Gas

gardo

• Members

Oooh, that's pretty. I don't think I've ever played a full-depth archtop, are they fun to play unplugged?  

I haven't really wanted any new gear for a while. About the only thing I'd like is an effects switcher. Oh yeah, and a tube amp, like a Deluxe Reverb RI. But I should probably get my existing, non-functional tube amps (Mesa .22 and Music Man HD-212) fixed before I shop for a new one. 

Guitars? I'm out of hanging space in my music room. 

• Moderators

I like the Broadway, Swingster and the regular Emperor, as well...don't own any of'em though.

I'm hankering for a Guild 12 string...I bought a Danelectro electric 12 this spring, and now...I want more! Bigger! Bolder!

Unfortunately, they do not come in black/ebony, but their factory is less than half an hour away, I should go talk to them...:idea:

3-2-1500x630.png

• Members
21 minutes ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Oooh, that's pretty. I don't think I've ever played a full-depth archtop, are they fun to play unplugged?  

I haven't really wanted any new gear for a while. About the only thing I'd like is an effects switcher. Oh yeah, and a tube amp, like a Deluxe Reverb RI. But I should probably get my existing, non-functional tube amps (Mesa .22 and Music Man HD-212) fixed before I shop for a new one. 

yeah ,I blew something in my tube amp and decided I should fix that first before adding any new amps

• Members
10 minutes ago, daddymack said:

I like the Broadway, Swingster and the regular Emperor, as well...don't own any of'em though.

I'm hankering for a Guild 12 string...I bought a Danelectro electric 12 this spring, and now...I want more! Bigger! Bolder!

Unfortunately, they do not come in black/ebony, but their factory is less than half an hour away, I should go talk to them...:idea:

3-2-1500x630.png

I have always liked 12 strings but don't currently have one, I get the bug for one and start looking until I find one . I bring it home and play it for a while then it gets pushed off to the side . I even found one under my bed that I had forgotten about. That Guild is a beauty.. Maybe if I ever find THE 12 string it will be a keeper

• Moderators
5 hours ago, gardo said:

I have always liked 12 strings but don't currently have one, I get the bug for one and start looking until I find one . I bring it home and play it for a while then it gets pushed off to the side . I even found one under my bed that I had forgotten about. That Guild is a beauty.. Maybe if I ever find THE 12 string it will be a keeper

the Danelectro wasn't on my radar until someone here at HC said...look...electric 12 strings for $300! and they were, and for the price, I'm happy. I have had both electric 12 ['63 Fender XII, should have kept, went to alimony payment] and an acoustic, I think it was a Kent...had to take off the octave E/A/D strings to keep the neck straight😉

I've recorded  with both Martin and Guild 12 strings, and I like the 'depth' of the jumbo Guilds, particularly for playing solo or acoustic duo..

• Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Nothing electric for me but Ibanez used to make a cheap all laminated concert size 8 string acoustic that I wouldn't mind having. No longer available so I'm off the hook, LOL.

8 string acoustic ? I’ll have to look into that

• Members
18 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

To answer your question, yes they are great unplugged  For several years my only guitar was a full size hollowbody electric. It was easy to set on the sofa and play unplugged or sometimes plugging in and cutting back the volume to get a nice mix of acoustic and amplified. Or get extreme and turn it up and let the amp do its magic playing right on the edge of backfeed  a'la Ted Nugent

• Moderators
13 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Nothing electric for me but Ibanez used to make a cheap all laminated concert size 8 string acoustic that I wouldn't mind having. No longer available so I'm off the hook, LOL.

I remember those...like 6 years ago...wait...found it.

• Members
22 hours ago, gardo said:

8 string acoustic ? I’ll have to look into that

Most 8 string acoustics are baritones, this was, AFAIK, designed for Standard tuning.

9 hours ago, daddymack said:

I remember those...like 6 years ago...wait...found it.

Close. The guitar I have in mind is an AEL108MD. The third and fourth strings are doubled as octaves. There was another version with the first and second strings doubled but I thought the octaves version would be cool, almost a 12 string without the futzy tuning and the added neck and bridge stress.

AEL108.jpg.eee504f6661a0431f588a35e35a744ba.jpg

• Members
2 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Most 8 string acoustics are baritones, this was, AFAIK, designed for Standard tuning.

Close. The guitar I have in mind is an AEL108MD. The third and fourth strings are doubled as octaves. There was another version with the first and second strings doubled but I thought the octaves version would be cool, almost a 12 string without the futzy tuning and the added neck and bridge stress.

AEL108.jpg.eee504f6661a0431f588a35e35a744ba.jpg

i play acoustic on Sunday mornings , that would work really well. I can see your interest in it

Archived