Harmony Central 2020 RIP

kbeaumont

• Members

The latest 'recent article' is May 31st. The "news" is just as old. Can't remember the last time I saw an "expert" review. And every time I visit the only things listed under "topics" are political ramblings nothing whatsoever to do with music or music gear. So when is someone gonna pull life support?

• Members

8 hours ago, 1001gear said:

Literally cannot imagine what that might be.  :idk:

Nor can I. I come here every day or so, don't sign in and look at the Activity report on the main page. I don't sign in because that would populate the report with the nonsense from PP. The site is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

• Members
On 11/21/2020 at 7:45 PM, Idunno said:

Nor can I. I come here every day or so, don't sign in and look at the Activity report on the main page. I don't sign in because that would populate the report with the nonsense from PP. The site is teetering on the edge of the abyss.

I thought I'd come here because I'm a bit bored at the family event today. I used to post here a lot a few years ago when I had a lot of questions about recoding equipment, but just moved on once I got my answers. There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity here though. I don't know what you mean by PP. 

• Members
19 hours ago, Pat Miller said:

I thought I'd come here because I'm a bit bored at the family event today. I used to post here a lot a few years ago when I had a lot of questions about recoding equipment, but just moved on once I got my answers. There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity here though. I don't know what you mean by PP. 

Basically, this is the underlying demise of HC. It rose up to become the most popular question/answer mecca. Then it started backsliding when the guitar culture at large no longer needed to spend the time logged in after the questions ran out. That's about the time it devolved into a forum run by cliques, similar to the persona of the current PP, and required heavy-handed moderation. That was a frustrating period exacerbated by the site switching to an unproven platform that failed an already embattled membership in countless ways. It lost its charm with the clique-run membership and went downhill from there until buried by the site admin attempting "great things" by playing the platform shell game and leaning heavily on jackbooted moderation to re-vitalize popularity (???!!!). The original esprit de corps that rallied the site was gone through poor management (captains sink with their ships). But, at least we have the AGF to provide the guitar culture's nerdsmanship needs and TGP to provide for the culture's cool-kids needs.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members
On 11/26/2020 at 9:31 AM, Idunno said:

Basically, this is the underlying demise of HC. It rose up to become the most popular question/answer mecca. Then it started backsliding when the guitar culture at large no longer needed to spend the time logged in after the questions ran out. That's about the time it devolved into a forum run by cliques, similar to the persona of the current PP, and required heavy-handed moderation. That was a frustrating period exacerbated by the site switching to an unproven platform that failed an already embattled membership in countless ways. It lost its charm with the clique-run membership and went downhill from there until buried by the site admin attempting "great things" by playing the platform shell game and leaning heavily on jackbooted moderation to re-vitalize popularity (???!!!). The original esprit de corps that rallied the site was gone through poor management (captains sink with their ships). But, at least we have the AGF to provide the guitar culture's nerdsmanship needs and TGP to provide for the culture's cool-kids needs.

Actually I just read this.  That is it in a nutshell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to be regular, long ago.

Basically, I bailed when the forum style changed into the crazy large sized thing that it is. too frustrating to bother with, a horrible layout I'd never seen before, or since this. Just wasn't worth surfing her. Just stopped in to see if it was still around.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
On 11/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, Idunno said:

I totally disagree.  HC KSS was a legit community with tons of regular activity.  We even had an annual meet up where a lot of people across the country attended (which has evolved into Chicago's Knob Con conference).  Then they decided a new 2.0 version of the forum was needed and that alone killed it.  Most moved on to other forums immediately.  The old forum was a million times better than 2.0  Any of the old timers will remember the infamous Hai Guyz thread.  That one thread had more activity in a day than the new 2.0 forum gets in a year.  I still visit music forums daily, just not Harmony Central.  I hope they are happy with their decisions.  They got exactly what they wanted.

• 2 months later...