Consulting the hive mind: Gloss black double cutaway guitar w/ P90s?

u6crash

• Members

Planning to buy myself a new guitar in January. Kind of looking and saving now. One thing I've never had is a guitar with P90s. I also feel like I'm missing a black guitar. I found an SG with P90s that really caught my eye, but I think it ended up being matte and I'd prefer gloss.

Here are my wants:

• Double cutaway (no Strat bodies)
  • No gold hardware
  • Gloss (not matte) black
  • <$900
  • Block inlays (if possible) on rosewood or ebony board
  • Prefer no tremolo, but flexible on that.

The closest thing I've found is the Yamaha Revstar RS520T

It's pretty close. I also don't have a 24.5" scale guitar or one with such a flat radius (13.5"). I'd probably black it out more and replace the pup covers if I could and replace or cover the current pickguard. Just my preference. The only mark it doesn't hit is dot inlays. Oh well. The RS720B has them for another $250, but adds a Bigsby that I don't want.

Open to other suggestions if you have them. Might consider a parts guitar, too. G&L has a Tribute Doheny in black, but it has black block inlays in a maple board.

revstar.jpg

revstar.thumb.jpg.29515f83b8dff12e234e969b8d343ade.jpg

• Members

You do realise that with 6+ criteria, you really put yourself in a very very small box... Been cruising around Reverb... many can hit 4 of the marks... P90s are a bit retro, so double cuts no so many. Did find one (so far) that seems to tick all the boxes: Epiphone Wilshire P-90s... but has dots.

G&L fits bill (mostly)n3twwqytfikv9jfgcou1.pngidgjr7u44thpes5b1s2a.jpg

• Members
On 11/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, u6crash said:

Planning to buy myself a new guitar in January. Kind of looking and saving now. One thing I've never had is a guitar with P90s. I also feel like I'm missing a black guitar. I found an SG with P90s that really caught my eye, but I think it ended up being matte and I'd prefer gloss.

Here are my wants:

• Double cutaway (no Strat bodies)
  • No gold hardware
  • Gloss (not matte) black
  • <$900
  • Block inlays (if possible) on rosewood or ebony board
  • Prefer no tremolo, but flexible on that.

The closest thing I've found is the Yamaha Revstar RS520T

It's pretty close. I also don't have a 24.5" scale guitar or one with such a flat radius (13.5"). I'd probably black it out more and replace the pup covers if I could and replace or cover the current pickguard. Just my preference. The only mark it doesn't hit is dot inlays. Oh well. The RS720B has them for another $250, but adds a Bigsby that I don't want.

Open to other suggestions if you have them. Might consider a parts guitar, too. G&L has a Tribute Doheny in black, but it has black block inlays in a maple board.

revstar.jpg

MIght work for ya.

Here's my pick.

10 years ago Gibson did a line of SG's called the SG Classic.

They sold for 700 bucks new, but you needed to by a case for one, as they didn't come with a case. 

They have kind of an old skool chubby Gibson neck.

Reverb has them, but they are fetching more money 10 years later than they were new.

I have one, and another SG with humbuckers.

Inspired by the 1960s SG Special, the Gibson SG Classic Electric Guitar with P-90 Pickups re-creates the look and sound of the most influential guitar in both Britain and the U.S. during the psychedelic era. It has the original all-mahogany body, dual P-90 pickups, and a bound rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays. Comes with Gibson gigbag and weighs 6lbs 1oz

Instrument: Electric Guitar
Brand: Gibson
Era: 2010s

They came in Cherry  or in Black.

and look like this.

I guess they did Trapezoidal inlays too, but mine has the dots with a bound neck.

I know the classic was a Musician Friend/ Guitar Center run that Gibson did.

Ibz42eywrqwdwy2gbrjhj.jpg

et1wh3mqaioffezwgd1w.jpg

Here's a black one.

44774097905_6b674181dd_z.jpg

The video replies says the trapezoidal inlays ae not an SG Classic, but a Standard SG with P90's

If you don't mind and can live with out black and the block inlays. Gibson still makes this. Pelham Blue is freaking way cool if yo ask me.

Epiphone has and SG with P90's too

• Members
7 hours ago, daddymack said:

Mikeo, those Gibson SGs don't go for under $900...:wave:

and the Epi versions only have dot inlays.

But thanks for trying!😎

:wave:

I have never purchased a guitar or not purchased a guitar because of the  neck inlays.

Here's the SG  that does have Trap inlays, they came out in 2016. However it was never made in Black

https://reverb.com/item/36691607-gibson-sg-standard-p-90-hp-2016

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Standard-P-90.aspx

I have an SG made in  1980 with the small block inlays, but with Humbuckers.

He doesn't want a  Bigsby either. I have Bigsbys on my Gretsch guitars. I love em

If I did another Gretsch I might do the Falcon in Blue

hqdefault.jpg

• Members
50 minutes ago, daddymack said:

great, glad to know what you are going to do:wave:...now, what about the OP? And he is flexible on the tremolo thing...

He's getting a Yamaha Revstar RS520T in black. May be a Epiphone Wilshire P-90s, but the G&LTribute  best fits the bill.

He figured this out about 2 second after hitting Submit Reply.:D 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Mikeo said:

He's getting a Yamaha Revstar RS520T in black. May be a Epiphone Wilshire P-90s, but the G&LTribute  best fits the bill.

He figured this out about 2 second after hitting Submit Reply.:D 

well, we have not received any feedback from the OP...so...there ya have it, there ya are...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 11/25/2020 at 7:41 PM, DeepEnd said:

The Manta Ray 390 might work if you can find one used.

Mant_390.jpg

I think I like that. I might be flexible at $1100. Sounds like I'm getting a promotion at work. Not super keen on the LP style pickguard, but whatever.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:40 AM, daddymack said:

The Manta Ray was my first thought when I saw this thread, but a quick look at Reverb said the <$900 wasn't in the cards. They go in the 1100 range.

The Eastwood Deerfoot might work...

note to he OP: the G&L Tribute Doheny has a tremolo system...and those are not P90s on there, those are more like the JazzMaster P-ups, similar appearance, but not the same.

The Deerfoot is interesting. Good note on the Doheny not being P90s. I'd still be cool with that since they are unlike any other pickups I have.

Still no decision. I've got time. Have also been playing around with the idea of building something. I've have a couple false starts trying to build a guitar in the past, and if I spent a few hundred dollars on a few more tools, I'd probably get farther. I'd probably buy a neck and with the options I want it adds up quickly, but I'd still have something pretty original. I do kind of like that RevStar the more I look at it and it would be easy enough to make one of those a custom looking thing with very small mods. Definitely been in a mode where I appreciate having guitars kind of off the beaten path.

Found these recently and it's a whole different animal:

Godin made the 5th Avenue Kingpin in black in the 2010s and sometimes they come up for sale. I don't have a true hollow body and this would really be different from anything else I own. Decisions, decisions.

preview.jpg

• Members
15 hours ago, u6crash said:

I think I like that. I might be flexible at $1100. Sounds like I'm getting a promotion at work. Not super keen on the LP style pickguard, but whatever.

The Deerfoot is interesting. Good note on the Doheny not being P90s. I'd still be cool with that since they are unlike any other pickups I have.

Still no decision. I've got time. Have also been playing around with the idea of building something. I've have a couple false starts trying to build a guitar in the past, and if I spent a few hundred dollars on a few more tools, I'd probably get farther. I'd probably buy a neck and with the options I want it adds up quickly, but I'd still have something pretty original. I do kind of like that RevStar the more I look at it and it would be easy enough to make one of those a custom looking thing with very small mods. Definitely been in a mode where I appreciate having guitars kind of off the beaten path.

Found these recently and it's a whole different animal:

Godin made the 5th Avenue Kingpin in black in the 2010s and sometimes they come up for sale. I don't have a true hollow body and this would really be different from anything else I own. Decisions, decisions.

preview.jpg

I have 2 Godin 5th Ave's one is a KingPin I and the other is a KIngPin II. 5th Ave's didn't come in a case but the KingPin 2 does. 

Cool Guitars for the coin. A bit like ES 125's., without old plus year issues.

• Moderators

I have been curious about the Godin KingPin for a long time, can't find one around here to try out, but I do love me some hollowbody electric, although, I prefer a cutaway.

But MommaMack would have my testicles on a silver platter if I showed up with another electric guitar ['you have two closets upstairs full of guitars, the downstairs closet is full of amps and PA gear, there are guitars all over the house, and stage lighting gear in the garage...enough! no more!']...I might get away with an acoustic/electric 12string though...:D

But, u6, at this point, trying to help you seems moot...let us know what you decide upon, and we will all cheer you on!

Happy Pending New Guitar Decision Day...😉

Archived