my plx1804s

• Members

...seem to run out of gas sort of early, or at least my impression has been that they just don't have the same headroom or guts as an rmx2450 or my yamahas. don't get me wrong, i love the weight...they sound good. It's just when they hit the wall i don't like the sound more so than some of my other amps.. this has been sort of a gut level impression from dozens of gigs. granted, i havent done back to back comparo's. would there be a different limiter in them?

• Members

Well, yes, the limiting is set to come on at their rated output, which is lower than the 2450's. So they'll run out of gas sooner, but the unless someone says otherwise, I can't imagine the limiter being different in any other way than the threshold.

I may be wrong in the way I interrpeted your reply but the 1804 is rated at 600w @ 8ohms and the 2450 @ 500w, 8ohms.

Witesol, Funny you posting this as I have had simular feelings about my 1804. Just seems like it runs out of gas or hits its peak much sooner than I would imagine. I really would like to play with the attenuator-gain settings abit but I mix from stage and its usually a set and forget.

When I use my FBT Maxx4a's as mains I always have plenty of headroom but when I use the 1804 powering my SRX712's or my old JF290z's seems Im peaking out at much lower SPL levels.

Edit to say Im a darn slow typer, sorry Craig!

• CMS Author

you miss ryan, dont you. so sad.
:cry:

'tis a lonely existence.

I'm actually exhausted. I've been up since 0430 (EST), had an insane work day, commuted home, ate dinner, commuted 40 miles to see my younger daughter's 4th-grade concert (flute), drove 40 miles back home, and have been waiting for my work on-call phone to stop texting alerts (there's a known problem they're trying to fix...no joy there) so I can go to bed and get 6 hours if I fall asleep within the next 7 minutes....

• Members

I use them on the top cabs in a biamp configuration. I have 3 of them. so to answer, there is no highpass enabled and of course the 1804 doesn't have any dip switches. it's just a gut feeling that they react differently when hitting the clip limiter..and that they do so seemingly fairly easily, especially on 4 ohm operation. i would suspect the same limiter as the plx2 models but i know they shaved some things from the amp to hit a power/price point too.

Archived