New body for a '57 Strat AVRI ... decisions, decisions.

6down1togo

• Members

My beloved Mary Kaye '57 AVRI has become sun damaged. I keep it in a room with only indirect sun and I noticed it had yellowed very unevenly, looking like the nicotine-stained pics dentists used to display in the offices. Don't get me wrong, I get aged finishes, but this one is just uneven and looks like hell. I decided to pick up another body to use while I refinish the original.

spacer.png spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

I bought a Squier CV '50's body in white blonde thinking it was a slam dunk replacement. Thanks to the seller's photoshopped pics, what appeared to be white blonde arrived looking more like Calypso Coral! I looked at it for a couple days, decided I couldn't stand it and got eBay involved and got my money back. The seller obviously was dumping it due to the color as it looked brand new. I circled an area which the seller claimed was a shadow, not discolor. You have to question everything. He claimed the body was a take-off he just "happened across".

Seller's pic ... nice and white, right?                                       On my "bench" it was very, very pink!

spacer.png  spacer.png

I decided Mary Kaye White was out and dug up pics of 2 original '57 Strats to decide on a new color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I couldn't decide so I bought bodies in both colors ... the odd man out will be a build for another day. 

Here is a mockup of both, which go you guys favor?

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Members

Candy Apple Red was first made available as a Custom Color in 1963, though Fender is known to have custom painted Stratocasters for high profile players (Mary Kaye is a case in point). CAR was a custom, candy color, show-car paint that used a gold base coat and a translucent red color coat. Fender has  offered '57 Vintage Reissues in CAR in a number of times and is currently available on 57 Custom Shop reissues so there must have been examples of CAR on '57 Stratocasters, but then again, the reissues don't have period accurate necks or fingerboard radius either so who knows. 

Right now I'm leaning towards the sunburst body for the '57 AVRI. Honestly, I like it better than I ever liked the Mary Kaye finish anyway and the burst pattern and colors are pretty much on point. 

The CAR will be another build and will get a rosewood board neck and a matching CAR headstock like a '60's would wear.

Both bodies are flawless and I got both bodies for less than than the price of a veneered, 3 color burst MIM body from Fender.

Archived