Amp advice

ame1979

• Members

Currently I own a Crate V50 Palomino 212 combo. I really like the sound of it and the build quality is second to none, but it is too damn big. It comes in at 58lbs.
I am currently a just bedroom player that maybe joining a band soon. I have around $500 and I have and I am not sure what to buy. I would like to stay between 15 to 30 watts. I really Warren Haynes's Soldano SOL100 but that is clearly out of the question unless I want to put my family out on the street.

I am considering the following used amps that are in my price range:

VHT 12/20 or Classic 18

Traynor YCV40
PRS Sonzera 20
Jet City JCA5012C or JCA2112RC
Egnator Tweaker 15 or 40
Fender Bassbreaker 15
Vox AC15C1
Blackstar HT-20R MkII Valve Combo or Studio 20HT
Marshall DSL20CR or DSL40CR
Peavey Classic 30
Kustom Defender 30

• Moderators

What, no Blues Junior? That is my go-to suggestion when people ask about a 15-30W amp. I own 2...

What style do you expect to be playing?

I own the Blackstar HT-20, nice amp, gets everything from Fender to Vox to Mesa to Marshall. The HT 40 is also an outstanding option.

I like the Jet City 2112RC more than the 50, simply because it breaks up 'better' at a reasonable volume than the 50, IMHO.

An AC15 is always a good choice, you might find a 15W NightTrain model for less [i have one of those as well].

The Peavey Classic 30 [or the 20], is a solid reliable and good sounding amp and takes pedals well.

The Marshall DSL 20 that I tested was a disappointment, especially compared to the DSL 40. Lacked the classic Marshall driven to the edge thing, which the DSL 40 does quite well. I used to own a 100SL with a 1960A cab, so I know what a Marshall should sound like, and the DSL 20 misses the mark...IMHO...

I think you will be disappointed in the BassBreaker. I was...

I also have a Crate VC 20, which would be a better amp if it had reverb...but have you thought about a smaller Palomino model?

The Egnator, VHT, Sonzera, Traynor or Kustom models mentioned I have no experience with, and therefor will not speculate.

Archived