Going to gig again in November

Notes_Norton

• Members

I'm not a natural singer, but I leaned how to use proper breath support and technique and can sing as well as my vocal 'equipment' allows me. I've become decent but not excellent. It took more practice to develop my vocal instrument than it did saxophone, flute, guitar, bass, or drums.

Fortunately my wife is an excellent singer (she gets all the difficult songs), and plays guitar and Buchla Thunder Tactile MIDI Controller (synth)

When I was just 40 and Leilani still in her 30s we targeted the Retirement Market here in S. Florida. It served us well until COVID. Unfortunately that isn't good for our current gigging. But this too will pass.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got word that the guy running the party, came down with covid over the weekend. Him and his wife both have it. They are in their 70s. They had a meeting and determined to cancel the party tomorrow. DUH!

I told him a couple times that they shouldn't have a gathering inside of a building. I wasn't happy with it, and said I would be masked with a kn95 mask during the entire evening, plus be self distanced away from everybody.

I told them that I was cancelling the upcoming date they booked in March with me.

So, back to the drawing board.... looks like I'll be out of work till late summer/fall. Cant see anybody having parties till Spring/Summer.

what a complete ClusterF***

• Members

Damn lefty, you have to look at it this way.... YOU could have come down with the virus if they didn't cancel the party. Along with 50 of your closest friends.

I had a bar gig about 4 weekends ago, first in a LONG time, and walked in, wearing mask of course, and not ONE single MF'er had a mask on, or had one on them period. I just turned around and walked right back out, explaining to my bandmates that "I'm not suicidal, I'm out." 

• Members
6 hours ago, leftyjay said:

I just got word that the guy running the party, came down with covid over the weekend. Him and his wife both have it. They are in their 70s. They had a meeting and determined to cancel the party tomorrow. DUH!

That stinks but better than being exposed to COVID. Best of luck until something comes along.

• Members

Leftyjay, consider yourself lucky.

There is no Ctrl+Z on whatever one does to expose himself/herself to COVID.

We unemployed can be miserable together, moaning about not having work, crying about not getting the high of performing, but at least we aren't on a ventilator fighting for air.

The vaccine is coming, we just have to be patient and stay safe until it's our turn to get needled.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I remember the TB shot in grade school (I think that's what it was). it was a circle of dots on your forearm. That didn't hurt. Just made a cool mark that lasted a few days.

I'm not a needle fan. Having blood tests are bad enough. What is worse is, when they miss the vein and keep moving the needle hoping to find it. That's about the time I'm starting to pass out.

Only questions I have is...1. how are they going to know if you've had the vaccine or not? A card you carry? Hopefully more than just a sticker on your lapel. 2. am I still going to have to wear a mask after I get the vaccine? or will it stop me spreading it on to someone else?

But hey, the bottom line is, if it gets me back to work, I'll take 2 shots in the arm.👍

• Members
On 12/8/2020 at 9:56 AM, daddymack said:

:eek2: needles?

Why does it have to be needles?

Why can't we get it on a sugar cube like the old polio vaccine?

😉

I got the original polio vaccine - needled.

When the improved sugar cube came out, I got that one too. A great improvement.

The COVID vaccine is the best shot we have to stay healthy. (I just wanted to inject a little humor.)

• Members
On 12/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, leftyjay said:

I remember the TB shot in grade school (I think that's what it was). it was a circle of dots on your forearm. That didn't hurt. Just made a cool mark that lasted a few days.

I'm not a needle fan. Having blood tests are bad enough. What is worse is, when they miss the vein and keep moving the needle hoping to find it. That's about the time I'm starting to pass out.

Only questions I have is...1. how are they going to know if you've had the vaccine or not? A card you carry? Hopefully more than just a sticker on your lapel. 2. am I still going to have to wear a mask after I get the vaccine? or will it stop me spreading it on to someone else?

But hey, the bottom line is, if it gets me back to work, I'll take 2 shots in the arm.👍

Yes, they will give you a card, so you can be a card carrying member of the Killing the Virus club. And 2, yes, you will still need a mask. 

• Moderators
23 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Yes, they will give you a card, so you can be a card carrying member of the Killing the Virus club. And 2, yes, you will still need a mask. 

I read somewhere there will be a national database of who got what version of the vaccine.

Why bother when Bill Gates is putting a nano-sized ID chip into every vaccine?:D

• Members
6 minutes ago, daddymack said:

I read somewhere there will be a national database of who got what version of the vaccine.

Why bother when Bill Gates is putting a nano-sized ID chip into every vaccine?:D

Yeah, but it will update every other day, and crash in the process! :bounce012:

• Members

We play in the living room with the doors and windows open to the squirrels, birds, and occasional rabbit or snake. They don't clap, they don't tip, but at least they don't boo (the snakes have been known to hiss though) ;)

I am hoping some day I'll have to get used to schlepping the gear a few times a week again.

• Members

Just got the contract for my hotel Xmas gigs, so it's a go so far. My agent stipulated that I will be far away from the crowd. Also interesting that there is a Covid clause in the contract. If the room gets shut down due to a health order, there is no cancellation fee paid to me. First time I've seen a pandemic clause...

• Members
17 hours ago, Shaster said:

Also interesting that there is a Covid clause in the contract. If the room gets shut down due to a health order, there is no cancellation fee paid to me. First time I've seen a pandemic clause...

I sold my parents' house to a neighbor of theirs back in April. Both of us had to sign a COVID waiver in case one or the other of us was unable to complete the transaction due to the pandemic. I suspect there have been rather a lot of similar documents this year and probably more next.

Archived