I'm new and here is my first rig, what do you think?

• Members

My name is Jon I'm a bassist and guitarist from Central Massachusetts. I will be running my guitar/bass through my Sansamp- PSA-1.1 DI'd. My brother Tom will be running his Yamaha S90SX DI'd as well. We both started singing, so that is why decided on buying a PA instead of acquiring separate gear ( my ampeg b-4R/ mesa 2x15" was stolen recently ) and a low level PA for vocals.

After a lot of research we went ahead and bought the following rig.

(2) - MRX525(s)

(1) - Crown XTI-4000

(1) - Furman PL-8C

(1) - Yamaha MG166cx

I'm hoping to buy at least one SRX728s before the summer is out and powering it with another Crown XTI-4000.

I also have a pair of 50' speakon cables, I was wondering if shorter is better with a speakon? A buddy of mine who works at the local GnC told me you can go up to a 100'+ with no degradation in sound quality.

Would the preset settings for the MRX525s in the Crown be good enough speaker management or should I invest in an external limiter/other piece of gear?

I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forums and I've read "The Live Sound Manual" cover to cover a couple times. But I have really no experience other than with my rig and friend's JRX rig.

I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to assist me. I assure you any advice will not fall on deaf ears and unlike a lot of other members I've seen on this forum I can take constructive criticism.

• Members

I also have a pair of 50' speakon cables, I was wondering if shorter is better with a speakon? A buddy of mine who works at the local GnC told me you can go up to a 100'+ with no degradation in sound quality.

Shorter is always better with speaker cables. The longer they get, the higher (lower) the gauge needed which means that they're heavier and more expensive. You're cables will probably be just fine for what you're doing though.

• Members

Shorter is always better with speaker cables. The longer they get, the higher (lower) the gauge needed which means that they're heavier and more expensive. You're cables will probably be just fine for what you're doing though.

What gauge would you recommend for 100' and 50'? I'll look it up..

• Members

Any good 31 band EQ will be fine. Make sure they are 31 band because others may cut/boost way too wide a swatch of freqs.

The 525s are tuned to be full range. Subs are tuned to be subs. The dual 15s do get pretty low but the sound of the lows is different, if you know what I mean.

To me, 712s over 718s would be an incredible system. The single 18s make moving easier and you can always add one or two more a side for coupling and it will still be easy to move.

The power conditioners are pretty much salesman talk and sometimes they actually cause more problems then they solve. Some amps don

• Members

I do have experience with the Driverack PA, but not much.

When would one find a use for a power conditioner?

I live in an older house and when we practice the dimmers in the house would put a crackling over the speakers when they were on, prior to me switching the dimmer switches out. I'm pretty sure it had to do with my Guitar/amp. I noticed it first on my little combo amp so I switched them out. I assume they would have caused a similar crackling/distortion over my MRXs as well.

• CMS Author

That'll be a dawlah, for a tahnic, go tell Dawnah......:lol: (welcome!)

You're close enough for sure to partake of www.Audioeast.com 's wares up in Lowell. Talk to Dan, and he'll hook you up. Don't let him talk you out of JBL and into Yorkville or EV......:mad:

You don't need a power conditioner. They don't do anything useful at all. The switches are dodgy, the meters need to be calibrated, and the "conditioning" is a joke. A basic outlet box or rackmount is just fine.

• Members

That SRX system 7 is making me drool. I'm thinking of just keeping the MRX525s, adding some 512m(s) and some 518 or 528s for my B rig.

I'm going to wait a year or two and take the SRX plunge then, do it right. I think I'll keep going with the XTI 4000s however. I think they match up nicely with the SRX as well.

For SRX subs would an XTI 6000 be appropriate? or is would that be overkill?

LOL I was totally taken by my buddy @ GnC and the Furman website. :facepalm:

• Members

I do have experience with the Driverack PA, but not much.

When would one find a use for a power conditioner?

I live in an older house and when we practice the dimmers in the house would put a crackling over the speakers when they were on, prior to me switching the dimmer switches out. I'm pretty sure it had to do with my Guitar/amp. I noticed it first on my little combo amp so I switched them out. I assume they would have caused a similar crackling/distortion over my MRXs as well.

A power conditioner will not help with the occasional low voltage that it seems like you might have. Conditioners, at least the one we all buy in the

• Members

For what it's worth, I use SRX715 over SRX718's for the small gigs I do....and it sounds nice and full, and gets loud for the size/weight of the setup. I might get another pair of 718's, cause the 715's will outrun the subs.

That SRX system 7 is making me drool. I'm thinking of just keeping the MRX525s, adding some 512m(s) and some 518 or 528s for my B rig.

I'm going to wait a year or two and take the SRX plunge then, do it right. I think I'll keep going with the XTI 4000s however. I think they match up nicely with the SRX as well.

For SRX subs would an XTI 6000 be appropriate? or is would that be overkill?

LOL I was totally taken by my buddy @ GnC and the Furman website.
:facepalm:

Archived