My back hurts! Time for lightweight gear...

• Members

My Brothers,

Got rid of the heavy Peavey SP-2's and SP-118 subs, along with that big old tri-amp rack this weekend. We want some light weight gear that won't kill our backs anymore.

We play '50s and 60's music and don't get stupid loud or need to be. If we play an outdoor gig, we contract out an appropriate system. Our audience likes a clean sound, not too loud. We were looking at the JBL EONs. We have the new Peavey XR 1212 powered mixer with a sub signal out.

What do you think about JBL EON305 15" 250W Passive PA Speakers for tops, and one or two JBL EON518S 500W 18" Powered Subwoofers.

Any thoughts on the Peavey Impulse 15" molded cabinets?

Thanks

• Members

I used Yorkville gear for years and have nothing but positive things to say about the brand. However, after having a couple back injuries which sidelined me for a few months, I decided to go with lighter gear a couple years back (the gear did not cause either injury).

I went with RCF ART522A cabinets for the top and RCF ART705AS subs for the bottom. I couldn't be happier (unless it was someone else doing the hauling, unloading, setting up, tearing down, packing up, and transporting home). This stuff is light, powerful, and very clean.

At the time, I was also checking out the JBL PRX stuff. They've had a couple new cabinets come out since then. If you're looking at JBL, consider a PRX active sub and an MRX passive full-range cabinet if you plan to use your powered board. If not, look at a PRX active full-range cabinet.

I use my RCF stuff w/ my band and also work in another band that uses the JBL EON gear. It's night and day as far as the sound. If you got the money and you're talking JBL, it's well worth it to step up to the MRX/PRX over the EON. I also think it's worth the money to step up to the RCF stuff over the JBL stuff.

I also checked out the QSC stuff. I liked the sound a great deal but the gear was still fairly heavy.

• Members

EV's ZX series warrants a close look.

You didn't state what size crowds you play to so it's difficult to make an accurate suggestion. But just for giggles a system comprised of a pair of the ZXA5's for FOH and as many ZXA1's for monitors would be hard to beat, weight to power ratio wise.

The 15" 2-way ZXA5's are biamped at 1250w yet weigh only 50.5 pounds, the ZXA1's are 8" 2-way cabinets biamped at 800w and weigh in under 20 pounds. Both are exceptionally articulate and offer the famous EV sound.

• Members
My Brothers,

Got rid of the heavy Peavey SP-2's and SP-118 subs, along with that big old tri-amp rack this weekend. We want some light weight gear that won't kill our backs anymore.

We play '50s and 60's music and don't get stupid loud or need to be. If we play an outdoor gig, we contract out an appropriate system. Our audience likes a clean sound, not too loud. We were looking at the JBL EONs. We have the new Peavey XR 1212 powered mixer with a sub signal out.

What do you think about JBL EON305 15" 250W Passive PA Speakers for tops, and one or two JBL EON518S 500W 18" Powered Subwoofers.

Any thoughts on the Peavey Impulse 15" molded cabinets?

Thanks

a pair each of Wharfedale Titan12 Active and Proel Flash 15A subs = 90lbs/side total weight.

• Members

Those EON subs are a BIG step down from the SP118's :(. That mixer puts 400WRMS into each 8 ohms top so you're gonna have to have 1600WRMS of subs to keep up :eek:. You could use the mixer's amp for subs and then you could go with lighter passive subs like these:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/super-lite_subwoofers.html

and then some powered tops. The 28lb Peavey PR12D's I have would easily keep up with "only" 800WRMS of subs :). I love being able to easily carry two at a time :love:. Those Titan 12 Active's look great too and you can get a couple extras for monitors.

• Members

My Brothers,

I'm visiting with our sound contractor as he is also a JBL dealer. The JBL MRX515 tops look pretty promising and weigh only 43 lbs. The Peavey SP2's were 97 lbs each.

The EONS may be out.

Our largest venue with our portable rig would be 250 people. Five vocals, piano, sax, Roland VDrums in the P/A. The bass and guitar have their own amps.

• Members

EV's ZX series warrants a close look.

You didn't state what size crowds you play to so it's difficult to make an accurate suggestion. But just for giggles a system comprised of a pair of the ZXA5's for FOH and as many ZXA1's for monitors would be hard to beat, weight to power ratio wise.

The 15" 2-way ZXA5's are biamped at 1250w yet weigh only 50.5 pounds, the ZXA1's are 8" 2-way cabinets biamped at 800w and weigh in under 20 pounds. Both are exceptionally articulate and offer the famous EV sound.

Wonder if and when they're gonna offer the ZXa3? I'd love an active version of my ZX3's. Been considering the SXa360 for a small active cab ever since they dropped the price, but I know as soon as I do, they'll release the ZXa3.

• Members

My Brothers,

I'm visiting with our sound contractor as he is also a JBL dealer. The JBL MRX515 tops look pretty promising and weigh only 43 lbs.

Look at the MRX512s. Great sound a lighter then the 515s. With e-drums you really need a sub. MRX518s are listed as 72 pounds but they actually feel much much lighter then that. I

• Members

+one for lightweight gear! There are some nice light amps on the market now too. Im really looking forward to hear about the new ultra light Peaveys that come in around 7 pounds. If that aint your cup of tea, QSC PLX1804 weighs in around 14 pounds and would power those MRX cabs nicely. Crown has the XTi series and the new X** series that are around 17 lbs.

• Members

Wonder if and when they're gonna offer the ZXa3? I'd love an active version of my ZX3's. Been considering the SXa360 for a small active cab ever since they dropped the price, but I know as soon as I do, they'll release the ZXa3.

What I really want to see is some active Zx subs as well. A Zxb12 to go under the ZxA1, Zxb15 for the ZxA3 (that I expect sometime soon), and a ZxA18 for the ZxA5.

I'd sell my passive Zx1/Sb122 combo and get an active setup if EV had a nice active sub for the ZxA1.

• Members

What I really want to see is some active Zx subs as well. A Zxb12 to go under the ZxA1, Zxb15 for the ZxA3 (that I expect sometime soon), and a ZxA18 for the ZxA5.

I'd sell my passive Zx1/Sb122 combo and get an active setup if EV had a nice active sub for the ZxA1.

I believe it is in the pipe line. :)

• Members

My brothers,

I auditioned the JBL MRX 515 and Yorkville NX 600 15" molded cabinet. Both sounded pretty darn good. I admit, we may have to add at least one sub if we go with those tops. We'll try one gig without the sub and see how that works.

We'll play smaller venues with this smaller rig. The JBL MRX 18 powered sub looked promising.

The EONS are officially out.

• Members

My brothers,

I auditioned the JBL MRX 515 and Yorkville NX 600 15" molded cabinet. Both sounded pretty darn good. I admit, we may have to add at least one sub if we go with those tops. We'll try one gig without the sub and see how that works.

We'll play smaller venues with this smaller rig. The JBL MRX 18 powered sub looked promising.

The EONS are officially out.

I think you will be disappointed in either of those, and just about anything else for that matter, if you're using V-Drums. I used DDrum e-drums for about 12 years and tried various configurations of my PA. The drums need a sub. Doesn't need to be some massive, megawatt sub, but at least something good starting at around 400 watts. The JBL 515 w/out a sub won't come close to the 512 w/ a sub. And as much as I enjoy Yorkville gear (Elite Series and TX Series), I was never a fan of the NX series. As your volume gets louder, the x-over in the NX cabinet rolls off the low frequencies. I know a repair tech who is constantly seeing NX cabinets w/ complaints of a loss of low end. Just about everyone of them tests out fine. The problem is the user/owner trying to get too much out of the cabinets w/out a sub.

• Members

I think you will be disappointed in either of those, and just about anything else for that matter, if you're using V-Drums. I used DDrum e-drums for about 12 years and tried various configurations of my PA. The drums need a sub. Doesn't need to be some massive, megawatt sub, but at least something good starting at around 400 watts. The JBL 515 w/out a sub won't come close to the 512 w/ a sub.

:thu: You REALLY NEED a sub if you are using e-drums. They will sound thin and lethargic without a sub or two.

• Members

I was never a fan of the NX series. As your volume gets louder, the x-over in the NX cabinet rolls off the low frequencies. I know a repair tech who is constantly seeing NX cabinets w/ complaints of a loss of low end. Just about everyone of them tests out fine. The problem is the user/owner trying to get too much out of the cabinets w/out a sub.

Last sentence says it all.

Archived