Buying a guitar in Canada ..

• Members

Hi all, I have a friend who lives in/near Edmonton in Canada, and who is interested in getting started with the guitar. 

Unless there are some remarkable deals on right now, I think she should buy used.

I know a fair bit about how/where to buy in France (or NZ), but nothing about that strange Northern Giant called Canada (even though I just snagged a used Seagull s6!).

Any advice about sites/ways of finding and buying a used folk acoustic would be much appreciated.

• Members

When in Canada, Larrivee makes some nice stuff and they were once based out of Canada and are not in California.

It's a big world out there, so shipping anything is not bad, if you find something in the USA and what to ship it to Canada.

Any budget in mind.

• Members

I haven't talked that through with in terms of budget. 200 euros (300 Canadian) can get you a reasonable use guitar I imagine.

Sheesh I got that Seagull for less than all the way over here in Europe.

Are used Seagulls, Norman's and Simon and Patrick's cheaper in Canada do you think?

• Members
On 10/15/2020 at 6:46 AM, Brindleleaf said:

Yep, I saw that...seems a bit expensive to me. I don't really like the idea of going through a shop if I can avoid it.

So, you don’t like the idea of supporting a brick and mortar?  I know I totally misunderstood that, but that’s what it sounds like.

• Members
2 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

So, you don’t like the idea of supporting a brick and mortar?  I know I totally misunderstood that, but that’s what it sounds like.

Where do you rent your VCR tapes again? Don't tell me you've abandoned the video stores!?! 

• Moderators

Canadian here,

If cost is an issue then I would recommend buying something used. However not everyone is comfortable meeting up with people on classified ads like kijiji.

There is a major music retailer in Canada called 'Long & McQuade', they have stores in every major city. Edmonton actually has 5 store locations. They sometimes have good deals on various instruments and equipment. They may also have used guitars at a discount. You or your friend can check out and browse their 'gear hunter' section on their website, that's where they list all of their most discounted items. One benefit of buying from them is store warranty and return policy, even on used products.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Members
10 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Where do you rent your VCR tapes again? Don't tell me you've abandoned the video stores!?! 

There are still local guitar shops.  Don’t see why one wouldn’t give em a shot first.  Then go online if you can’t at the local.
There, of course, are no vcr tapes, or video stores at all anymore, so I’m trying to figure out your point, cause it makes no sense, and I’m sure you were trying to be clever, I’m just too stupid to see the funny/dig/relevance.

• Members
16 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I did a buy out at the local store so I can watch them whenever I please. On the second time around now smiley-wink

• Thanks 1
  • Members
5 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

There are still local guitar shops.  Don’t see why one wouldn’t give em a shot first.  Then go online if you can’t at the local.
There, of course, are no vcr tapes, or video stores at all anymore, so I’m trying to figure out your point, cause it makes no sense, and I’m sure you were trying to be clever, I’m just too stupid to see the funny/dig/relevance.

My point is that relevance of brick and mortar stores is already past the tipping point for guitars. So people shouldn't be made to feel guilty for their choice to buy online. 

• Members
55 minutes ago, Grant Harding said:

My point is that relevance of brick and mortar stores is already past the tipping point for guitars. So people shouldn't be made to feel guilty for their choice to buy online. 

A few things, I agree people shouldn’t be made to feel guilty about stuff, and I disagree the relevance of B&M stores are past the tipping point.  Lots of em out there, struggling to survive.  It sounds strange, though, and shortsighted, to hear people entirely dismiss going to support a local, unless you’ve been there and had a negative time of it.  My opinion, of course, and I’m sorry you thought I was trying that. Nope, I sincerely thought I misunderstood.

• Members
On 10/14/2020 at 7:35 AM, Brindleleaf said:

I haven't talked that through with in terms of budget. 200 euros (300 Canadian) can get you a reasonable use guitar I imagine.

Sheesh I got that Seagull for less than all the way over here in Europe.

Are used Seagulls, Norman's and Simon and Patrick's cheaper in Canada do you think?

I'm not to familiar with the Seagull and Norman line, but I looked and saw that Company called LONG & McQUADE has a many places in Canada.

300 or so isn't a huge budget, but you can find something.

I am familiar with the Yamaha line and picked this out. You'll still want a case, and a tuner, and so on. 

https://www.long-mcquade.com/69622/Guitars/Acoustic_Guitars/Yamaha/FG800_Spruce_Top_Acoustic_Guitar_w_Gloss_Finish.htm

Traditional western body
• Solid spruce top
• Nato/Okume back & sides - similar sound characteristics to mahogany's warm sound and rich midrange
• Newly developed scalloped bracing
• Traditional looks and outstanding quality
• New scalloped bracing produces louder and stronger sound in the low- to mid-range

• Moderators

The advantage of a brick and mortar is you can actually try out an instrument, feel the action, hear the tone, etc.

Long and McQuade is like the Sam Ash of Canada [not quite GC]...so there should be a decent selection of instruments to try out.

There is also an online market, similar to Craig's List, in Canada...kijiji

As to what to look for, Yamaha's lower end guitars are some of the best for beginners. I would wholeheartedly suggest a nylon string rather than a steel string to start with; much easier on the finger tips, and the wider neck makes finger placement simpler. The Yamaha CG line includes inexpensive starter models under $300[US]

If no Yammies are available, a Cordoba Protege or an Epiphone Pro-1 would be my next go to. These are decent nylon string guitars designed for beginners to learn and develop on. No, they are not pro-level guitars, but they are playable right out of the box...well, after tuning. I also suggest a Snark tuner...

• Members
9 hours ago, daddymack said:

There is also an online market, similar to Craig's List, in Canada...kijiji . . .

. . . I also suggest a Snark tuner...

Much better results than CraigsList. A quick search of acoustic guitars under $300 (presumably Canadian, about $227 USD) turned up several possibilities:

Simon & Patrick steel string $250 (made in Canada)
Samick nylon string $180
Art & Lutherie steel string with pickup $200 (made in Canada)
Jasmine steel string $225
Art & Lutherie steel string $275 (made in Canada)
Art & Lutherie steel string $300 made in Canada)
Harmony nylon string $100 (desperately needs new strings, a new player might want to pass)
Yamaha steel string $180
Yamaha steel string $280
Cort steel string $208 (new)

BTW, pretty much any clip on tuner will do the job and do it well. It doesn't have to be a Snark, I have a couple of off-brand tuners and both work well.

Edited by DeepEnd
  • Members
43 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

BTW, pretty much any clip on tuner will do the job and do it well. It doesn't have to be a Snark, I have a couple of off-brand tuners and both work well.

Snark’s just the flavor of the decade, you’re right, all of them do the same thing.

• Members

Thanks everyone...lots to check out there.

Honestly, I have nothing against brick and mortar shop... except the price! Over here in France, buying second-hand from internet is so much cheaper than 'real' shops.

Apart from guitars, I had my nose rubbed in this the last time I bought strings from a shop. I looked on Amazon, but decided to support the local guitar shop...trouble is, they didn't have the strings I wanted. The salesman said "Let me just check" and typed away at his computer...the problem for him was that I could see the reflection of his screen...and he went straight to Amazon and quoted me a price the was two and half times more than Amazon's. I REALLY don't need him to support Amazon for me...Sheesh.

I'll check out the suggestions... thanks again

• Like 1