1979 Princeton Reverb - All tubes glow, no sound

TimArch

• Members

Howdy folks,

I have a 1979 Princeton Reverb. Amp powers up, all tubes appear to be glowing. Zero sound from the speaker...no noise floor, or other hiss. If I turn up the intensity on the vibrato, I can clearly hear the oscillation, but there's no crash from the reverb, if I try to induce such a thing. I've confirmed the speaker works with another amp.

There was no 'event' associated with this amp ceasing to function. It was in great working order one day, and now it's not so much.

Any ideas?

• Moderators
On 10/13/2020 at 10:20 AM, TimArch said:

Howdy folks,

I have a 1979 Princeton Reverb. Amp powers up, all tubes appear to be glowing. Zero sound from the speaker...no noise floor, or other hiss. If I turn up the intensity on the vibrato, I can clearly hear the oscillation, but there's no crash from the reverb, if I try to induce such a thing. I've confirmed the speaker works with another amp.

There was no 'event' associated with this amp ceasing to function. It was in great working order one day, and now it's not so much.

Any ideas?

I agree that poking around in there might present a potential hazard, so if you are not well versed in the shock hazards present in tube amps, and if you are not good at these things, take it in to a qualified tech/shop is your best choice.

From the description, I will guess your output transformer took a dump.

The OT is an easy part to replace...if you are competent and know your way around a tube amp.

There are certainly other possible failures that would result in the same outcome, some as simple as a fried resistor or blown capacitor.

Considering the age of the amp, not knowing it's service history, and not being able to look at it myself, I can't really go much further.

Archived