looking for a dual channel 15-band EQ

• Members

Why 15 band? 31 band has a much narrower cut/boost. You are looking for a dual 15 with feedback indicators for under $150? Looks like a Behringer UltraGraph Pro (FBQ1502) is a possibility. Watch out for added noise from some of these units.

Its going to be a one time set and will never be touched again. Its for a church building and will mainly be used just to eq the room for spoke word.

• Members

If it's a one time setup why does it need the LEDs? You could get better quality by cutting that feature off the list. If you don't need to constantly be reaching for it then the LEDs won't really help that much.

If you still want the LEDs I think the Behringer is the only one I know of that has the features you mentioned at that price point, but I would be wary of possible failure or added noise in the system.

Also +1 for trying to get a 31band instead of a 15.

• Members

If you're set on getting an EQ... definitely go with a 31-band. Even for spoken word the smaller cuts are better if you're tuning a room. If I were you, I'd get something like an ART HQ-231 if you're set on getting one with feedback location LEDs... Mike at AudioPyle had a couple of demo units that he'd sell for around $225 shipped or so... last time I checked.

If you're really going to "set it and forget it"... you should just get a Sabine FBX, dbx AFS-224 or similar... one that remembers your settings in case it power cycles. Set some of the filters permanent to tune the room and then let the auto-filters catch and release the occasional spike. This won't cost you any more than the EQ you're looking at and will handle the odd spikes that a static EQ won't.

(BTW - Do yourself a favor and AVOID the Behringer feedback generators.)

• Members

The Peavey QF 215 fits your description and is advertised everywhere for $199. I bet a bit of searching can you get you closer to your target $ amount. Of course, the QF 131 is a better option for about the same price.

While Peavey EQs do not have a large following here, I will wager you will be happier with the Peavey units than the Behringer ones. YMMV.

• Members

opus - I really suggest going 31 band and since it is set and forget, blow off the lighted LEDs and use your ears. Once the sound is set you will be much happier not to have wasted your money on a toy that you admit you should only need once (during initial setup).

• Members

The main reason for wanting lighted LED's is that my ear isnt good enough to figure out what frequency is doing what. Still open for suggestions though.

Train your ear... use this.

http://sft.sourceforge.net/

FWIW - I think the ART stuff is a good value. With the HQ-231 you get two channels of 31-band EQ w/ Feedback Detection LEDs, HPF, LPF, Constant Q, and it's 2U instead of 3U like the comparable Peavey... and (AudioPyle) Mike's price is more than $100 less than Zzounds or elsewhere.

BTW - The DOD stuff is a good value as well... probably made side-by-side with the dbx stuff.

Archived