Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members

on HC. I really hate to think it's because there's only room enough on the internet for one AGF, but it looks like that's the case. Who could stand two of those? The front office's strategy of moderating the old membership here into an AGF mirror site kinda fell flat. It was a good run.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
9 hours ago, Idunno said:

on HC. I really hate to think it's because there's only room enough on the internet for one AGF, but it looks like that's the case. Who could stand two of those? The front office's strategy of moderating the old membership here into an AGF mirror site kinda fell flat. It was a good run.

Seems so, Joe. I visit regularly and do my best to contribute but there are so few of us now that it hardly seems worthwhile. But remember how it was? what fun we had? the marvellous slanging matches? It made it what it was - the best guitar forum - so different from the insipid AGF.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Hmmm...maybe we need to ask what people want from this place. I discovered it just after I bought my first guitar...and just soaked up a lot of info and ideas. Sometimes I forget just how much I have assimilated from you lot. Today I picked up a slightly scratched, but lovely-sounding Seagull S6 (Happy NGD to me!😁). Talking with the owner over a coffee before leaving, I was comfortably familiar with every kind of guitar-related topic that came up (tone woods, string gauge, things to check when buying a used guitar, playing styles etc etc). A LOT of that came from stuff I have read again and again on here...

 

What do people want from this forum? If we want it to come back to life, it needs to offer THAT.

 

What is the scope of this place?

If I could make a wishlist of what it would provide, I would think of..

- a place to hear from people I know.

- fun and laughs (at least snorts of amusement)

- fascinating info (😗)

- VOM1T (I'm going to take the plunge sometime (soon).

-advice about playing (sure need THAT!) (especially for quality strumming skills).

 

What about you lot..if you could choose...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Brindleleaf

Thanks for injecting some light and hope into the topic. Yes, we need people essentially, people to talk and laugh and contribute.

Congratulations on that Seagull S6, scratches and all - more mojo. I have enough guitars to keep me happy but GAS always lurks and I must admit that I'd probably snap up a S6 if one materialized.

We eagerly await your plunge into VOM 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
1 hour ago, kwakatak said:

Forums are for old people. Younger people tend to use social media platforms but for discussion like to use Reddit.

True. But most of HCAG members are old people 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, Brindleleaf said:

. . . Today I picked up a slightly scratched, but lovely-sounding Seagull S6 (Happy NGD to me!😁). Talking with the owner over a coffee before leaving, I was comfortably familiar with every kind of guitar-related topic that came up (tone woods, string gauge, things to check when buying a used guitar, playing styles etc etc). A LOT of that came from stuff I have read again and again on here...

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu:

4 hours ago, garthman said:

True. But most of HCAG members are old people 😉

I resemble that remark. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/5/2020 at 6:20 AM, garthman said:

Seems so, Joe. I visit regularly and do my best to contribute but there are so few of us now that it hardly seems worthwhile. But remember how it was? what fun we had? the marvellous slanging matches? It made it what it was - the best guitar forum - so different from the insipid AGF.

Not to be a negative element fouling hopes that the place finds its bootstraps, but it's becoming evident that it can't and it has zero bearing on the context of age-grouping, as Neil suggests.

I've been to reddit and thought it to be rather clinically disparate and cold, and not a suitable substitute to forums or even a last resort. As far as social media goes, there's a common sense issue regarding privacy breeches that most social media advocates/users dismiss out of hand. I think it's a shortcoming indoctrinated by techno-driven peer pressure creating the mass appeal to be suckered into such agencies of self-serving commercial interests. Enough factual data is publicly announced about the invasiveness (data mining) of social media that one can pretty much assume blatant disregard summarizes the 3.82 billion user's stances about the protection of their own privacy. It's either that or they're simply blissfully ignorant of it.

It comes down to the loss of preference for personal involvement; a dehumanizing mechanism at work. The telecommunications today by and large minimizes the personal contact making humans human. Reddit especially exemplifies that due to it's sheer global numbers reporting in versus discussion. Much of what I see there isn't discussion at all. It's more of an information exchange of catch as catch can and little if any warmth.

Anyway, yes, there was a time here when the whole human enchilada was at work here tying it, trying it and binding it to itself. It wasn't always pretty but it was a heavy hitter as far as forums go but the head office here didn't see the gold in it. It's misguided decision to manifest itself as fun for the whole family was and remains a form of business mismanagement that cost it a rather profitable position.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
12 hours ago, babablowfish said:

The Sun set a long time ago.  But, yes, this place was really special.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

Wow. There's a blast from the past. I hope you are well. Are you still rocking your Parkwood jumbo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
41 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

Wow. There's a blast from the past. I hope you are well. Are you still rocking your Parkwood jumbo?

Hi.  Its been a long time.   Arthritis, and a variety of other issues made playing the Jumbo too painful so I traded it in years ago on a Taylor 214 which I then traded in on a Martin a year ago.  

We had some really good times here back when.  I still have lots of fond memories of the special little oasis we had.  I hope you and the rest of the gang are all well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/7/2020 at 1:10 PM, babablowfish said:

The Sun set a long time ago.  But, yes, this place was really special.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

Well, well. Good to hear from you again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, Idunno said:

Not to be a negative element fouling hopes that the place finds its bootstraps, but it's becoming evident that it can't and it has zero bearing on the context of age-grouping, as Neil suggests.

I've been to reddit and thought it to be rather clinically disparate and cold, and not a suitable substitute to forums or even a last resort. As far as social media goes, there's a common sense issue regarding privacy breeches that most social media advocates/users dismiss out of hand. I think it's a shortcoming indoctrinated by techno-driven peer pressure creating the mass appeal to be suckered into such agencies of self-serving commercial interests. Enough factual data is publicly announced about the invasiveness (data mining) of social media that one can pretty much assume blatant disregard summarizes the 3.82 billion user's stances about the protection of their own privacy. It's either that or they're simply blissfully ignorant of it.

It comes down to the loss of preference for personal involvement; a dehumanizing mechanism at work. The telecommunications today by and large minimizes the personal contact making humans human. Reddit especially exemplifies that due to it's sheer global numbers reporting in versus discussion. Much of what I see there isn't discussion at all. It's more of an information exchange of catch as catch can and little if any warmth.

Anyway, yes, there was a time here when the whole human enchilada was at work here tying it, trying it and binding it to itself. It wasn't always pretty but it was a heavy hitter as far as forums go but the head office here didn't see the gold in it. It's misguided decision to manifest itself as fun for the whole family was and remains a form of business mismanagement that cost it a rather profitable position.

I understand and can even sympathize somewhat, but I can't allow myself to adopt a feeling of defeatism. It's not good for one's mental, physical or spiritual health 

These past 4 years have been difficult for me, not because of politics but because of family struggles. I have been dealing with depression my entire life but it's been especially hard and I've been trying to claw my way back out of the pit I've dug for myself. One of the pitfalls is looking back instead of looking forward. We only get so much time on this earth and from what I have seen, being stagnant is a "little death." IMO it's better to stay in motion that to sit still or try and go in reverse.

So say what you will about social media and Reddit, but I will try to branch out and try to understand how younger eyes see the world - and try to guide them without preaching. If anything, the enthusiasm is a nice change of pace over the "get off my lawn" mentality that prevails at places like AGF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/7/2020 at 2:20 AM, DeepEnd said:

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu:

Thanks! Guess what...I freakin LOVE it! The frets seem tiny and demand a lot of precision when I do barre chords, but this thing sounds absolutely fantastic. Not sure if its just the cedar tone or that it has aged especially well, but it Knicks my socks off (and I'm playing it next to a 1000€ Lakewood)!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
9 hours ago, kwakatak said:

I understand and can even sympathize somewhat, but I can't allow myself to adopt a feeling of defeatism. It's not good for one's mental, physical or spiritual health 

These past 4 years have been difficult for me, not because of politics but because of family struggles. I have been dealing with depression my entire life but it's been especially hard and I've been trying to claw my way back out of the pit I've dug for myself. One of the pitfalls is looking back instead of looking forward. We only get so much time on this earth and from what I have seen, being stagnant is a "little death." IMO it's better to stay in motion that to sit still or try and go in reverse.

So say what you will about social media and Reddit, but I will try to branch out and try to understand how younger eyes see the world - and try to guide them without preaching. If anything, the enthusiasm is a nice change of pace over the "get off my lawn" mentality that prevails at places like AGF.

Fair enough. Being a rather incorrigible recluse who begrudgingly relies on society's continuing irritations to give my life meaning, I suppose you could say I should see the positive in society for being there when I don't need it; a glass half full, with a twist.

I've said it before but it remains true today, I tip my hat to you and the challenges you've soldiered through. Keep the strength.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
On 10/5/2020 at 4:15 PM, Brindleleaf said:

Hmmm...maybe we need to ask what people want from this place. I discovered it just after I bought my first guitar...and just soaked up a lot of info and ideas. Sometimes I forget just how much I have assimilated from you lot. Today I picked up a slightly scratched, but lovely-sounding Seagull S6 (Happy NGD to me!😁). Talking with the owner over a coffee before leaving, I was comfortably familiar with every kind of guitar-related topic that came up (tone woods, string gauge, things to check when buying a used guitar, playing styles etc etc). A LOT of that came from stuff I have read again and again on here...

 

What do people want from this forum? If we want it to come back to life, it needs to offer THAT.

 

What is the scope of this place?

If I could make a wishlist of what it would provide, I would think of..

- a place to hear from people I know.

- fun and laughs (at least snorts of amusement)

- fascinating info (😗)

- VOM1T (I'm going to take the plunge sometime (soon).

-advice about playing (sure need THAT!) (especially for quality strumming skills).

 

What about you lot..if you could choose...

 

Valid question about what we want from this place. One can never go back but that's not the point. The question should ask what made it what it was. People change as a group, or collective, and in their progressiveness they eschew outmoded norms and embrace new norms, or new realities if we can forgive whoever coined that one. What is lost and what is gained? Is there something for everyone in the transition? No. Rights of passage dictates that one generation is succeeded by the next and with each new birth comes a desire for its own identity to displace the previous.

This place has lost the identity that birthed it and reared it. The moderation born with it died with it and the new moderation is on high alert to preclude any new form of identity that isn't HC uber alles, akin to AGF's authoritarian moderation, for the good of all. Problem is, mankind is not good by his very nature. He enjoys a good scuffle, and that was HC's birth identity. That's what made it what it was; special. 

Anyway, may it continue on for the good of all and enjoy being a home to friends and family alike. I will continue to ruminate over what's over and remember it without the Joy it's currently soaking in, so mild. Madge, is that you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Yes, I see what you are saying. 

The thing is, I've never even noticed the moderators (guess I'm just too nice and polite (read boring 😁)), and despite hearing about AGF over the years, I don't think I have ever been there and don't know what it's like.

When I talk about rethinking what people want from this place, I guess I mean two things..

1) There is a {censored}LOAD of information on stuff here that is worth reading even though it's old. I end up here often via searches in Google. And maybe we've done 'Bridgepin Witchcraft' to death and need to rethink what purpose this site could serve us (individually and as a very loose group).

2) Maybe the forum format is now old hat...like CB Radio. Still CB freaks out there, I guess but if they are a thriving community, then it's because they have reinvented themselves perhaps.

 

I'm mostly back here because of Covid. I'm working a fair bit from home so actually have some time to practice during the day, rather than last thing at night. It makes a HUGE difference! I'm enjoying the feeling of making progress and just spending time fluffing around on the guitar while I'm wide awake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Oh....a " {censored}LOAD of information"....that the type of moderation you are talking about?

Also, thinking about it... apart from playing online chess, this place was one of the first where I signed in everyday and talked to people (the same people) every day....maybe it felt so special because it was so novel?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Indeed....the sun is setting. The world can remain evil and disgusting longer than we can stay alive.  A person does need to have the discipline to walk away (example; music) and prioritize their time and energy in a sustainable way or get sick and die from internalizing the global debris that is brought to us at the speed of light from every perspective on the planet.  The mind of man or any sentient being was not designed and has not evolved to the point where it can it can integrate the amount of information available to us...much of it useless.  It is important for mental sanity to be aware of ones limits.....before the violation of them destroys you.

Our current circumstances prove that facts have little relevance to what we believe.  The FACT is....people believe whatever creates the rationalization allowing them to do what they THINK they need to do so they can look at themselves in the mirror and/or sleep at night. Until we accept that we are ultimately responsible for the world we have created we will be forever lost. Our personal happiness and freedom is defined by what we are willing to do to preserve it. Sorry for the rant.....I've been gone from here a long time and not that I posted a lot but I'm a big time lurker and I sense the unease around here....and pretty much everywhere. Play your guitars people and enjoy what we have left while we can.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
12 hours ago, D-28 said:

Indeed....the sun is setting. The world can remain evil and disgusting longer than we can stay alive.  A person does need to have the discipline to walk away (example; music) and prioritize their time and energy in a sustainable way or get sick and die from internalizing the global debris that is brought to us at the speed of light from every perspective on the planet.  The mind of man or any sentient being was not designed and has not evolved to the point where it can it can integrate the amount of information available to us...much of it useless.  It is important for mental sanity to be aware of ones limits.....before the violation of them destroys you.

Our current circumstances prove that facts have little relevance to what we believe.  The FACT is....people believe whatever creates the rationalization allowing them to do what they THINK they need to do so they can look at themselves in the mirror and/or sleep at night. Until we accept that we are ultimately responsible for the world we have created we will be forever lost. Our personal happiness and freedom is defined by what we are willing to do to preserve it. Sorry for the rant.....I've been gone from here a long time and not that I posted a lot but I'm a big time lurker and I sense the unease around here....and pretty much everywhere. Play your guitars people and enjoy what we have left while we can.

 

I think you may have missed the intent of the original statement, "The Sun is setting."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Since I'm on one of my rare visits I'll just say that the sun went down a long time ago, but is shining in other places.   We had a great thing here once and I know a few folks are trying to keep it alive, but the glory that was Harmony Central is long gone,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Hi guys!  What’s in this particular forum?  Regs don’t seem to be interested in carrying on guitar related convo, one-time posters abound with ..interesting questions, but never make it beyond one post, the regs that do want to keep the AG section viable treat them with embarrassingly royal treatment (my opinion), the whole “welcome to the forum”, or “before I forget my manners” stuff obviously isn’t well received, and it’s kind of creepy, no one does that.  
 

“Welcome to Facebook”, “before I forget my manners, let me welcome you to....” don’t know why you guys do it, but ok.

Just keep it real, answer the one posters and stop BEGGING them to come back.  If folks keep it civil, informative, and not cynical (yeah, I’m a cynic..sorry) maybe people would populate.  It’s a joke to even the regulars.

Post recently about a bulge, normal acoustic guitar bulge.  First poster.  I said “all acoustics have bulges”.  5 after said the same thing, yet had to “welcome”(see above).  First look from anyone is that desperation plays a hand, and no one really cares to interact with others.  I’d be surprised if that person came back.  No mistake, good info, but all caught up in their own ego, no “community”.

Nope.  The regs here have blown it. My opinion only.

I will slink back to PP now and continue my important work in the meme thread. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...