Trailers - hope it's ok on this forum...

• Members

I am now on the verge of getting a trailer, and need some suggestions from you guys (and gals) on brand/needs/etc. We keep getting more gear, and I am the lucky one to get to carry it all and quite frankly "the truck is getting full my dear." and it's hard as heck to get it unloaded by myself at 4AM.

So, here is my situation. I am in a band. A four piece (sometimes 5 piece band). I am not a "sound" guy but we have our own PA that we will carry with us in the trailer. Along with that we will carry, guitars, amps, bass, drum kit and who knows what else. blah blah..you know all that...so...

There are so many brands, etc out there and many different trailer options that I don't know what to consider. I am considering a 5x10 size.

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

get one that is bigger than you think you need, and has a weight capacity greater than you think you need.

i know a guy with a very nice trailer, drop down ramp and everything but he has to replace the entire axle every year because it is not rated to carry the weight he is hauling. unsafe and dangerous IMHO, as it fails spectacularly.

i hauled it back one morning about 75 miles and the next day one of the bearings failed on the interstate and that coulda been me

• CMS Author

Tandem axles track better, and you won't be near as likely to lose control and flip the trailer when (not if) you get a flat or lose a bearing.

Side doors are convenient if you often parallel park the rig at gigs.

Rear gates are convenient to roll gear off. Rear doors work better if you have to parallel park and don't have a lot of room behind the trailer to offload.

Carmate is a very good trailer.

So is Pace.

So is Worthington.

Pay extra for E-track on the walls and tie-down hardware. Load bars are good too. Buy them with the trailer.

• Members

I have a Pace 6x12 with a drop down rear door, single axle, and it has a side door also. I can fit tons of gear in it. Sometimes I even load my E-drum kit last while its still set up. I just wish it had a vent in the top.

• Members

It may not apply to you, but if you live in a subdivision, make sure you're allowed to have a trailer out in the open. I'm not so I had to buy a trailer that would fit in the garage. It's 5' interior height and I'm only 5 7" so there's not a lot of stooping, but I would have loved a 5 6" height or more.

Last year I upgraded from a 4x6 spring suspension to a 5x8 with a torsion axle. I love the torsion axle. The ride is so much better. It also tows better, especially empty compared to the old trailer. The torsion axle trailer will also ride lower too which is nice if you don't have a ramp door. Lower deck height also means a lower trailer overall which allows it to fit in the garage and probably aids fuel economy a bit as well.

A V-nose can be nice too. You'll get extra space in a shorter trailer and better fuel economy. My dream trailer was a 5x10 5' wide, torsion axle with a side door and ramp door. I just couldn't figure out a way to make it fit in the garage though.

• Members

Safety first... We're still pulling around a single axle all over the damn country. We went through axles and finally put a pretty serious one under it... We also put on some "bearing buddies" and those things are life savers!

I hope to one day upgrade to a dual axle.... I HATE worrying while plowing down the road.

Another thing I recommend... LED trailer lights. If it doesn't come with it.. take some time to add them. We re-did all our lights and you can see our tail from miles behind us.

• Members

I purchased a Carry-On 7x14 tandem axle about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely buy a bigger trailer than you think you need. It is so convenient to have the additional room for extra gear, or to be able to leave a walkway down the middle of everything. Also get one with brakes. This will save your life if the trailer starts to sway out of control. Put lots of thought into your load plan and make a diagram. Don't overload the tongue and use enough truck for the load. TW

• Members

We have a 5'x10' V-nose Wells Cargo for my wife's 4 piece blues rock band. I love the way it tows and fits behind my 4-Runner, but even with our light weight PA and mostly smaller backline amps, I can't get all the gear in the trailer without being hundreds of pounds over it's weight rating so keep that in mind when you look at sizes. If you plan on putting everything in the trailer you likely will need a 6' wide model.

Winston

• Members

What kinda vehicle are we pulling with ? What is the weight of your gear? Interstate travel ? Could make a big difference on trailer suggestions. Were kinda at the addditional van, get a trailer or get a box truck crossroads also. That said ive pulled alot trailers and a few things come to mind.

Brake controller first and foremost. Installed by a pro also.

Anti sway bars etc can stiffin up a load real nicely

Led Lights

Those are a few things that come to mind.

• Members

I'm towing a 5x8 with a Kia Sedona, sometimes with 5 guys in it (usually 4). No trouble at all. We have a very lightweight rig though. I'm estimating the full PA and lights weigh in under 800 lbs. We then put in all the other gear. Still no more than another 400 lbs and thats being generous. The trailer weighs maybe 900 lbs so that's what, 2100ish lbs. Towing capacity is 3500. We travel all over the place - 7 states so far.

• Members

I'm towing a 5x8 with a Kia Sedona, sometimes with 5 guys in it (usually 4). No trouble at all. We have a very lightweight rig though. I'm estimating the full PA and lights weigh in under 800 lbs. We then put in all the other gear. Still no more than another 400 lbs and thats being generous. The trailer weighs maybe 900 lbs so that's what, 2100ish lbs. Towing capacity is 3500. We travel all over the place - 7 states so far.

Don't know about yours, but our 5x10 Wells Cargo has a 1300lb cargo rating. You might hit some scales with it loaded and confirm that you are carrying what you think you are. I was surprised when I weighed ours. But then again, it's not like we all are hauling around exotic feathers. Copper, steel, plywood and magnets are all dense materials.

Cabling-150 lbs

2 Mains- 110 lbs

2 Subs- 180 lbs

3 Monitors- 110 lbs

Mic Stand bag- 70 lbs

Speaker stands- 15 lbs

Mic case- 10 lbs

My FOH what not bag- 15 lbs

FOH rack- 65 lbs

Amp rack- 75 lbs

Spare amp- 25 lbs

Bass amp- 85 lbs

2 guitar amps- 75 lbs

6 hard cased guitars- 120 lbs

Drum hardware bag- 90 lbs

Cymbal case- 20 lbs

5 piece kit in soft cases- 80 lbs?

4 LED par cans, controller and stands- 50 lbs

1345 lbs and I'm missing the other odds and ends that I can't remember. Crap adds up fast.

Don't overload and get new tires. Winston

• Members

It doesn't hurt to find out who & where does trailer alignments in your area. I had the tires wear out unevenly because of a misalignment. Cost me $60 for the alignment and 2 tires at $85 a piece. Bought the trailer new in 2006 too.

• Members

I typically use horse trailers that can convert with all the partitions pulled out. They are good sized, plenty tall, always come with dual 3500 lb axles (minimum) and electric brakes. They are extremely stable, solid and built to safety standards way higher than a typical medium duty or entry level cargo trailer. They are available in a variety of configurations and sizes and menuver reasonably well. The floors are always very solid too.

• Members

I typically use horse trailers that can convert with all the partitions pulled out. They are good sized, plenty tall, always come with dual 3500 lb axles (minimum) and electric brakes. They are extremely stable, solid and built to safety standards way higher than a typical medium duty or entry level cargo trailer. They are available in a variety of configurations and sizes and menuver reasonably well. The floors are always very solid too.

I've thought about this before... Do you actually buy an enclosed horse trailer or convert an open style over??? I have some friends who buy standard horse trailers and convert them into high end trailers complete with living quarters.

• Members

I thought I needed a tandem axel 12 x 8 ft. trailer. I bought one. I also bought an 8 x 4ft. single axel trailer. I use the 8ft. much more often than the 12ft. I wouldn't consider selling either for disuse. I prefer to pull the 8ft. with my Tahoe or Astro AWD. I prefer to pull the 12ft. with my Ford 1 ton dually.

• Members

I've thought about this before... Do you actually buy an enclosed horse trailer or convert an open style over??? I have some friends who buy standard horse trailers and convert them into high end trailers complete with living quarters.

Enclosed, some models have removeable partitions so that in 5 minutes you go from horse trailer to cargo trailer. Of course there might be a klittle cleaning involved, but I keep mine clean all the time anyway. The rubber mats on the floor and walls help keep gear unmarred too.

I've seen living quarter trailers that are really something. I no longer go out on the road so living quarters are of no use to me.

Archived