Technique Help Needed When Playing Single Notes

Alonzo Mosley

• Members

It looked like the "Learn" forum is only to post lessons, not questions. So I may be in the wrong place.

I'm trying to re-teach myself how to play lead. I have stubby little Vienna sausages for fingers, so I will never be Randy Rhoads, but...

I'm having a lot of problems with phantom notes. When I pull my finger off a string, it essentially is picking (or I guess hammering) the open string. Is that just a matter of calluses not built up enough? Or does it sound like a finger positioning problem?

Likewise, when I move my fingers, it's hard not to swipe against the string above or below. Particularly when bending. Any advice?

If this is too esoteric to work on over the net, I can always sign up for some lessons.

• Members

Yeah fret hand. Guys like Hendrix and indeed most rock guitarists can circle the neck with their thumb and index and have few muting difficulties. If you don't have the reach of the guitar gods your best recourse is to develop fingerings and licks you can do quietly while chipping away at your muting issues. Pretty obvious but developing chops is always gonna be work.