In-Ear Monitor Questions

• Members

Hi all,

I've been looking around for some new floor monitors, and are thinking about just moving to in-ears. At the moment, I'm providing 2 separate monitor mixes, which the singer and I use (drummer and bass player don't want / need @ this stage).

My main question is in regards to the hooking up of the equipment - do I just run a send from one of the AUX's on my mixer to the input of the sending unit ? Or do I still need to feed the signal through the power amp and then to the sending unit ?

FWEIW - I'm looking at either the Sennheiser EW300 model or the Shure PSM200 series....

Any informed opinions are appreciated.

• Members

Hi all,

I've been looking around for some new floor monitors, and are thinking about just moving to in-ears. At the moment, I'm providing 2 separate monitor mixes, which the singer and I use (drummer and bass player don't want / need @ this stage).

My main question is in regards to the hooking up of the equipment - do I just run a send from one of the AUX's on my mixer to the input of the sending unit ? Or do I still need to feed the signal through the power amp and then to the sending unit ?

FWIW - I'm looking at either the Sennheiser EW300 model or the Shure PSM200 series....

Any informed opinions are appreciated.

You take your aux master outs to the transmitter unit of your IEM system. You would probably not want to run the same mix as wedges, so if you are planning to keep your current wedges, use a different auxiliary send. And you definitely do not want to hook your transmitter to a power amp output.

The EW300 (IEM G3) is a way better system, compared to the Shure.

• Members

Before you make the leap there are some things that you should know.

With in ears you will need to mic everything. In order to get bass into the ear buds, they need to have a great seal. That seal will make the ambient stage sounds very difficult to hear. If you loosen the buds, you lose the low end. Don

• Members

If you get rid of the wedges, your drummer and bassist aren't going to hear the rest of the band (or at least the vocals). In coming up with a better solution for everyone else in the band, you may be putting them in a predicament.

Archived