passive/biamp switch

• Members

Well, I'm building the 2nd set of monitors (6) to match the 1st set of 4. They will be similar in size to a 712 using a 30deg symmetrical angle and can be mirrored. There is a pole mount ofn the bottoms but of course no fly points. Finish is black duratex rolled on and the grill has foam behind it for a great look. Parts are EWI APX1206 ans 22xt on a 90x60 lense and a stock peavey crossover @ 1.6k (might 2.2k) 12/18 from what I can tell.

In the future I'd like to be able to biamp these but the convience of passive makes it easy for a throw together system. What I need is a part number for a switch used for biamp/passiv (double throw triple pole right? the LF + is common to biamp and passive and doesn't need to be switched?

Any ideas on parts for this? I'd like to get a dozen...

• Members

I wouldn't leave any common connections any more. There are new power amp technologies that don't like that. Also what happens if somebody leaves cables plugged into both sets of inputs?

Switch 'em all and you won't need to worry (besides I'll bet 4 pole switches are easier to find)

• Members

OK, 4 pole seems like a good idea. I'm not looking to switch these a lot, infact having to open them up to move a mogal plug would be fine but the crossovers aren't set up that way. Connections are only by 2 NL4 and would be set up:

Passive:

pins 1: ful range

pins 2: not use (or passed on)

Biamp

Pin 1: LF

Pin 2: HF

I see what you mean about having a common connector, I'll leave it out and use 4 pole. Most switches I'm finding have a 5A 125V rating, will this be enough for speakers in the 400w to 1600w peak rating?

Archived