What gives here? Seller sez 2009 LP Classic, but...

Samnite

• Members

It was definitely made in 2009, but the SN begins with "02" and it has an indented SN.  I believe those Classics are supposed to have an ink SN.

If it's fake, you can see that they got some things right (neck binding clearly overlaps the frets, etc.)

Gorbsun?  Or what?  I hope not.  It's a good price, and I kinda want it! 😅

Also, hi again!  It's been years!

gitback.jpg

gitfront.jpg

headstock1.jpg

neck SN.jpg

gitback.thumb.jpg.4c3a33bc9c851f021f0a1a3b73d1e79e.jpg

gitfront.thumb.jpg.e482ad030d24de2a53ece8929e347fcf.jpg

headstock1.thumb.jpg.52e128e52c5a6738ebee6e5d5de24fb2.jpg

726119306_neckSN.thumb.jpg.2f35fc78d0c0f5d24ca658760c111225.jpg

• Members

40 minutes ago, Samnite said:

It was definitely made in 2009, but the SN begins with "02" and it has an indented SN.  I believe those Classics are supposed to have an ink SN.

If it's fake, you can see that they got some things right (neck binding clearly overlaps the frets, etc.)

Gorbsun?  Or what?  I hope not.  It's a good price, and I kinda want it! 😅

Also, hi again!  It's been years!

Relax, it's real. 1st and 5th digit denote the year. After 2017 or so, (someone correct me please) the year will be the first 2 digits.

• Members
1 minute ago, badpenguin said:

Relax, it's real. 1st and 5th digit denote the year. After 2017 or so, (someone correct me please) the year will be the first 2 digits.

Well, that's fantastic news.  Thank you!  I've been out of the game for a while, and I'm obviously not that familiar with the Gibson market.  Do you think $1250 is a decent price for this instrument?  I'm thinking it probably is (assuming no headstock cracks, etc.)

• Members

1250 for a classic "seems" high to me, but I don't know the going pricing that well, Check ebay, and the sold items, or reverb.  You can get a much better idea of the going rate.  My last Paul was an 07 Studio Faded that I got for the whopping price of 300 w/ original hardshell case. A headstock repaired one, but one I would have been prou9d to do!

• Members
5 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

1250 for a classic "seems" high to me, but I know the going pricing that well, Check ebay, and the sold items, or reverb.  You can get a much better idea of the going rate.  My last Paul was an 07 Studio Faded that I got for the whopping price of 300 w/ original hardshell case. A headstock repaired one, but one I would have been prou9d to do!

Thanks again.  I see eBay and Reverb seem to have these averaging a bit higher than $1250.  More in the $1400 to $1600ish range.  I'm obviously going to have to think hard about this!

• Members
1 minute ago, badpenguin said:

Ok, quick look of feebay, showed me the average range from 1250 to 1500 painted top, and above that for figured. Try for a bit lower if you can, it can't hurt top try!

True that.  Thanks for your time!

• Members

Plot twist: Gibson customer service says it's legit, but it's not a Classic.  It's a 2009 LP Traditional Pro.  Seller is asking $1250.  I may throw a low offer at him, but I might have to end up picking this up.  Seems the market price for these is a little bit higher.

• Members

If it's any consolation, the LH side of the cove of the neck at the base of the headstock is very wavy in your last pic. I would be suspicious of a repaired headstock. Black of course is the easiest color which to hide a repair.since no color or stain match is needed, just have to make it smooth. The LP's (Standard Plus Top, Classic Custom, Traditional) were all smooth as glass. Don't worry, another one will come along and the sold prices aren't going up, only the asking prices are.

• Members
On 9/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, 6down1togo said:

If it's any consolation, the LH side of the cove of the neck at the base of the headstock is very wavy in your last pic. I would be suspicious of a repaired headstock. Black of course is the easiest color to hide a repair since no color or stain match is needed, just have to make it smooth. The LP's  I've owned (Standard Plus Top, Classic Custom, Traditional) were all smooth as glass. Don't worry, another one will come along and the sold prices aren't going up, only the asking prices are.

Archived