Looking For Quality Condenser Multi Pattern Mic

• Members

Hi all,,, Okay,,,I've found several great mics under $300
Any thoughts on these for the soundhole on 12 string, single mixing a 6 string, & possibly some vox?
RODE NT2-A & (RM2 clip)
AUDIO TECHNICA AT2050

AKG O420
CAD M179
CAD E300S

Again, many thanks.
Kenny

• Members

Strangely enough I've heard good things about the Behringer B-2 Pro (started out as a Chinese-made for Rode real Rode NT2). The AT2050 is reported to be kinda "meh". The AKG P420 has a decent reputation. The CAD M179 is a modern unvoiced mic - most folks end up wanting something more vintage voiced. The CAD E300S is just too weird - rechargeable.

BTW it's usually best to mic a guitar at the 12th fret vs the soundhole (too boomy).

P.S> I just ordered a B-2, talked myself into it after looking at a few reviews LOL. I had been looking to get a Rode NT1 (cardioid only) to go with my Rode M5's.

• Members

I have an AT2020 and it's OK - I think what the cork sniffers dislike most are mics that need EQ to get where you want. Personally I'd think a flat mic would be preferable but maybe this dates back to when EQ was hard. There are some great EQ plugins nowadays. Here's how to EQ a B-2 Pro to sound indistinguishable from a vintage U87 😮 :

• Members
23 hours ago, RoadRanger said:

I have an AT2020 and it's OK - I think what the cork sniffers dislike most are mics that need EQ to get where you want. Personally I'd think a flat mic would be preferable but maybe this dates back to when EQ was hard. There are some great EQ plugins nowadays. Here's how to EQ a B-2 Pro to sound indistinguishable from a vintage U87 😮 :

yes there is

Interesting but I have seen more broke Behringer gear than I can count. Behringer has a very low reliability factor. Could be the way folks treat a 200 dollar mic as opposed to a 3600 dollar mic

• Members
22 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Interesting but I have seen more broke Behringer gear than I can count. Behringer has a very low reliability factor. Could be the way folks treat a 200 dollar mic as opposed to a 3600 dollar mic

I've concluded the same thing - I saw one guy bitching online that when he dropped his B-2 Pro it came apart and he had to re-assemble it. Still worked fine but obviously it was poorly constructed LOL. I peeked inside of mine and it has the newer circuit boards that are rumored to have the high end tamed a bit more than the older version. Personally I think the days of needing "voiced" mics is over but old paradigms die hard LOL.

Archived