Looking For Quality Condenser Multi Pattern Mic

ksl

• Members

Good day all~ After a 10 yr hiatus & liquidation of everything, I'm getting back into it with the Tascam Model 24... So far I have an Equitek E100 for electric guitar, but for recording my custom 12 string acoustic, (& single micing a 6 string on omni), thinking I'd put a larger diaphragm mic capable of an omni pattern on the sound hole, & put the E100 on the neck. Anything exceptional for $200 or less,,, if something sticks out for a little more, I'll live. Thanks all & best of health~

• Moderators

Hi ksl

Welcome back from your hiatus. There actually aren't many choices for multi-pattern mics in the lower price range. The cheapest one I know is probably the Studio Projects B3 (~$160). There are other moderately priced ones such as the Rode NT-2a ($400) and Audio Technica AT2050 ($230). I don't have any personal experience with these models but I assume they have similar sound quality to each of their base models (B1, NT1-a, and AT2020, respectively). I do have the Studio Projects B1, its not the best mic out there, but it is good value for the price, I would use it in a pinch for a guitar recording. Hope this helps.

• Members

After my Behringer B2-pro died, which is also a really good mic for it´s price if you are not scared of buying Behringer 😛, I got an AKG P420, so far no complaints, very little EQ necessary (on my voice at least).  The P420 should be on the ballpark of 200 USD.

Both have multi-pattern. The AKG in particular is rather well built for it´s price. My only complaint is that the case is kinda flimsy and they could have included a pop-filter on the pack. It comes with a shock-mount.

Archived