• Members

it's a good mic, basically the Heil pr20 in a custom body. It lights up when you apply phantom power, but it's a large D dynamic mic. I regularly work with a prominate local band who uses 4 of them. have mixed their shows many times and done some live recordings. I like the mic better than the Shure

• Members

Never used or heard that mic so I can't help you there, but I have a Heil PR 22 which I bought to try as a stand mount harmonica mic because of it's very low proximity effect. The lead singer has defaulted back to just using her vocal mic for most gigs so it dropped out of that line up. Next I tried it on my wife for her back up vocals and while we love the sound of the mic, I found it just doesn't have as much isolation as we need for many of the small stages we are on. (I don't need another overhead mic.:lol:)

I use it sometimes when we are outdoors and I wish I could use it more as it is a very nice sounding mic but it just isn't cutting it for our use. The PR 35 is reputed to have better rejection and gets pretty rave reviews for it's sound as well.

Winston

• Members

So does the PR20 which this mic basically is pic up like an overhead as the PR22 does?

The crack about another overhead was more a joke than a review. On small loud stages any open vocal mic acts as another OH to some degree and I try to keep my sources as clean as possible.

The Heil mics were the flavor of the month over on PSW for while and have been discussed extensively there. As I understand it, the PR 22 is what Bob Heil came up with in response to complaints about the handling noise and lack of rejection in the PR 20 so bear that in mind if it truly is the PR 20 capsule in a retro case.

I still love the PR 22, and it's not horrible at rejection, but out of our vocal options of SM58s, E835s, Beta 87a, AT AE3300 and AT AE4100 it's the last one I'm going to grab on small tight stages with louder wedges and backline.

Other people use them with no complaints. I use it on my wife at Church with no problems but there are no amps on stage.

YMMV, Winston.

• Members

The PR20 and 22 sound great, but they do indeed pick up a lot of unwanted stage sound. A friend gave up on it, and I did too, as we need mics that we can depend on to get the job done in any situation, not just one in ten gigs. I still prefer the OM7, he currently likes the E935.

• Members

Heil Mics? are those the megaphones that you shout "AHOY" through? Oh sorry those would be hail mics.

I've heard other's use the handheld ones (is that the PR 20 or 22?) with good results. I have mixed using the LD Dynamics (the 30 & 40 models) and loved them.

:thu: Heil mics.

• Members

I'm pretty much a sucker for any of Bob's products, after doing a few festivals with a company that was carrying a good bit of his stuff. Great sounding mics and very reasonable, price wise. Also, if you dig great customer service companies, you will love Heil. If you ever have to call with service questions, etc. you are just as likely to get Bob on the phone as you are to get one of the techs. He'll walk you through your problem, place your replacement order for you, tell you a story about old designs he came up with, talk about the weather, etc. Great guy and definitely a company that is worthy of respect and patronage.

• Members

Yeah, I pretty much run Heil mics only on drums right now: PR20 = snare top, HM Pro = snare bottom, HM Pros on toms. I round that out with a 52 and 91 on kick and a pair of MAudio Pulsar IIs as overheads. MXL 603s on hat.

I'll take a PR40 on kick any day of the week and wouldn't hesitate to use a PR30 on just about any other normal application from horns to guitar cabs to bass cabs to overheads to percussion close mics to pairing on a vibraphone to backing vocal mics to etc, etc, etc.

• Members

I'll take a PR40 on kick any day of the week and wouldn't hesitate to use a PR30 on just about any other normal application from horns to guitar cabs to bass cabs to overheads to percussion close mics to pairing on a vibraphone to backing vocal mics to etc, etc, etc.

How would you compare the PR40 to the PR30 on guitar cabs, horns, etc.? I've thought of grabbing a 30 or two, but they seem to sell for almost as much as I paid for my PR40s.

• Members

I've found that the PR40 just seems to handle the lower end of the kick better than the PR30. Plus, I think it handles the higher spl levels better if you need to push it further into the port. The 30 seems to be clearer in the upper mids. Overall though, I'd say they are very similar mics and could pretty much be used as general purpose mics for countless applications. We once used 3 PR40s, 3 PR30s, and 2 SM81s to mic a 24 piece children's marimba orchestra on the fly. Sounded fantastic form something we put together last minute.

If you are looking to pick up an extra mic or two in that range and you already have a couple PR40s, go ahead and save the 75 - 100 bucks and invest in the PR30s. You will definitely love them and will never fail to find an application where they won't equal or outperform most of your other options. That's just my opinion...

• Members

If you are looking to pick up an extra mic or two in that range and you already have a couple PR40s, go ahead and save the 75 - 100 bucks and invest in the PR30s. You will definitely love them and will never fail to find an application where they won't equal or outperform most of your other options. That's just my opinion...

I've got only $217 in each of my PR40s. Hard to find even used PR30s for that $.

• Members

I've got only $217 in each of my PR40s. Hard to find even used PR30s for that $.

Ok, I was basing it off of the MAP prices that most retailers are selling them for. In that case, keep an eye on Ebay for PR30s that are floating around. They always have a few used Heils each week.

Archived