Jump to content

electric guitars and intonation


Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted (edited)

A lot of electrics seem to go to the music stores with the intonation not set at all. The saddles usually need to be adjusted.

Most acoustics have a simple saddle that works fine, unless you try a plain third string........

That has been my experience, with the purchase of about twenty guitars.

They dont even clean the fretboards and they let the strings go dead, here at our only music store, Guitar Center.

Much less would they ever set them up, for free. There are good videos on you tube about making adjustments.

Edited by Dan Furr55
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
13 minutes ago, Dan Furr55 said:

A lot of electrics seem to go to the music stores with the intonation not set at all. The saddles usually need to be adjusted.

Most acoustics have a simple saddle that works fine, unless you try a plain third string........

That has been my experience, with the purchase of about twenty guitars.

They dont even clean the fretboards and they let the strings go dead, here at our only music store, Guitar Center.

Much less would they ever set them up, for free. There are good videos on you tube about making adjustments.

I know exactly what you mean. Saw a John Mayer Strat at GC and it was out of tune all over the place no matter how well I tuned it. Just frustrating.

That's why I love Taylor's T5 hybrids. Acoustic bridge on a hollowbody. Perfection.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

People always change strings to what they're use.  To add that there are many of you that don't play in standard tuning. That's why they don't set them up before you buy them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
Just now, jtr654 said:

People always change strings to what they're use.  To add that there are many of you that don't play in standard tuning. That's why they don't set them up before you buy them.

 

They should. I'd rather be able to find out what a guitar sounds like with typical 9s before buying it. And I'd never trust Guitar Center's techs to set it up properly anyway. 

Someone once told me that improper intonation takes a zero off the guitar's perceived value. They're absolutely right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

Electrics usually have much lighter strings, which makes them harder to intonate, plus way easier to squeeze notes sharp by fretting too hard. 

Agree that it's also more critical for them to get acoustics right before they leave the factory since they're not adjustable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

Electrics usually have much lighter strings, which makes them harder to intonate, plus way easier to squeeze notes sharp by fretting too hard. 

Agree that it's also more critical for them to get acoustics right before they leave the factory since they're not adjustable. 

I think that's the main issue. The folks who made the guitar don't know whether the potential owner is going to have a light touch or be ham fisted so they just kind of ballpark it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...