electric guitars and intonation

• Members
Posted (edited)

A lot of electrics seem to go to the music stores with the intonation not set at all. The saddles usually need to be adjusted.

Most acoustics have a simple saddle that works fine, unless you try a plain third string........

That has been my experience, with the purchase of about twenty guitars.

They dont even clean the fretboards and they let the strings go dead, here at our only music store, Guitar Center.

Much less would they ever set them up, for free. There are good videos on you tube about making adjustments.

Edited by Dan Furr55
  • Thanks 1
  • Members
13 minutes ago, Dan Furr55 said:

A lot of electrics seem to go to the music stores with the intonation not set at all. The saddles usually need to be adjusted.

Most acoustics have a simple saddle that works fine, unless you try a plain third string........

That has been my experience, with the purchase of about twenty guitars.

They dont even clean the fretboards and they let the strings go dead, here at our only music store, Guitar Center.

Much less would they ever set them up, for free. There are good videos on you tube about making adjustments.

I know exactly what you mean. Saw a John Mayer Strat at GC and it was out of tune all over the place no matter how well I tuned it. Just frustrating.

That's why I love Taylor's T5 hybrids. Acoustic bridge on a hollowbody. Perfection.

• Members

People always change strings to what they're use.  To add that there are many of you that don't play in standard tuning. That's why they don't set them up before you buy them.

• Members
Just now, jtr654 said:

People always change strings to what they're use.  To add that there are many of you that don't play in standard tuning. That's why they don't set them up before you buy them.

They should. I'd rather be able to find out what a guitar sounds like with typical 9s before buying it. And I'd never trust Guitar Center's techs to set it up properly anyway. 

Someone once told me that improper intonation takes a zero off the guitar's perceived value. They're absolutely right.

• Members

Electrics usually have much lighter strings, which makes them harder to intonate, plus way easier to squeeze notes sharp by fretting too hard. 

Agree that it's also more critical for them to get acoustics right before they leave the factory since they're not adjustable. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

Electrics usually have much lighter strings, which makes them harder to intonate, plus way easier to squeeze notes sharp by fretting too hard. 

Agree that it's also more critical for them to get acoustics right before they leave the factory since they're not adjustable. 

I think that's the main issue. The folks who made the guitar don't know whether the potential owner is going to have a light touch or be ham fisted so they just kind of ballpark it.

• Like 1