NeckReset question harmony/Fender1010

GOON

• Members

Hello I have a fender acoustic 1010 I am going to do a neck reset on this acoustic guitar my friend tells me that it does not have a dovetail joint it has a morten and tenon joint  what I have researched is that it should have a dovetail joint has anybody steamed a neck off on a 1969 /1970 harmony fender 1010 or similar models with the uni bar reinforced neck? My main question is when I remove my fret  and drill down will I drill down into a pocket for me to put the steam needle or is this guitar a cheap guitar with out a dovetail... thank you 

• Members

I have all the tools to do the neck reset I'm not afraid to do it. I was a automotive technician that specialized in rebuilding engines and transmissions auto and manual transmissions. I'm out of work and disabled now so I have time. I've seen and read a lot about the harmony 165 neck reset and it looks like a cakewalk compared to auto repair nightmares I've been through 

• Moderators

If you are doing it just to do it, and learn from it, go for it!

:thu:

That said, those old Harmony guitars, as others have noted here, were cheaply made and you never know what corners they 'shaved' in their manufacturing process. But you will be finding out...😎

• Members

I Almost finished the neck reset ... the neck angle looks great ... the glue is drying the hardest part was trimming the heal I do have small 1.5 mm gap at most between the heel and body. At some spots .. the glue is drying I'm going to let it dry for a few days. Getting the neck off wasn't hard. Cutting the heel is . also my pressure cooker steamer wasn't pumping out steam that well I think I had to much water in the pressure cooker I was also using a 15 dollar eBay hot plate to heat the pressure cooker. But it was a great learning experience I can't wait to play it... thanks for the support. 

• Members
On 8/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, GOON said:

I Almost finished the neck reset ... the neck angle looks great ... the glue is drying the hardest part was trimming the heal I do have small 1.5 mm gap at most between the heel and body. At some spots .. the glue is drying I'm going to let it dry for a few days. Getting the neck off wasn't hard. Cutting the heel is . also my pressure cooker steamer wasn't pumping out steam that well I think I had to much water in the pressure cooker I was also using a 15 dollar eBay hot plate to heat the pressure cooker. But it was a great learning experience I can't wait to play it... thanks for the support. 

Great!  I will eagerly look forward to hearing how it all turned out.  Pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Archived