• Members

Can anyone suggest a good IEM system. With the new mixer I can do more mixes but why should I buy more monitors for everyone else. The bass, singer, other guitar can share the 2 floor monitors and I have a box for the drummer. This is for me. If they want IEM's they can buy their own.

• Members

I love my Sennheiser, but it is the 3056, and older pro unit. I use SHure E2C's, and just got (won in a raffle) some Se115's. I actually really like the sound of my Ink'd buds from Skull Candy , which retail for $17. The bass is a little more flabby, but it's present and the overall sound/feel is good!

• Members

I am seeing units with the antenna on the from and the back. If I was planning on racking this wouldn't a front mounted antenna work better?

They just get in the way, IME. Having the antennae at the back works just fine, you don't get any drop in reception. They're designed with high-density applications in mind, usually. Most mid or high-end systems can be setup in a rack with many units that are all tied to a couple of global antennas.

There's also rack ears you can buy that come with a little adapter cable so you can attach the antennas to the front though, if you want.

• Members

There's also rack ears you can buy that come with a little adapter cable so you can attach the antennas to the front though, if you want.

Two of our three in ear units use this. There is no difference that we noticed in reception between the front mounted and rear mounted antennae.

• Members

I had originally asked about buying a pair of $20 Sennheiser MX earbuds and using them as monitors. I was shot down to say the least.

This past Wednesday, I pulled out my current Sony headphones ($40 ones that have the plastic piece over the ear). I cut about 6dB of 6k (this model is hot around that frequency) and i could hear everything.

I had all my drums, vocals, and guitars coming through the earphones. Granted, I'm sure the quality is not as good as the professional IEMs, but it was certainly good enough from a monitoring standpoint. Also, they did not completely isolate from outside noise, but I actually like that because as a drummer, I do like hearing the stage a little. The volume was nice and soft and my ears thanked me later than night.

I'm very glad I didn't spend 300+ on a set of IEMs. In my opinion, they just are not necessary.

• Members

I had originally asked about buying a pair of $20 Sennheiser MX earbuds and using them as monitors. I was shot down to say the least.

This past Wednesday, I pulled out my current Sony headphones ($40 ones that have the plastic piece over the ear). I cut about 6dB of 6k (this model is hot around that frequency) and i could hear everything.

I had all my drums, vocals, and guitars coming through the earphones. Granted, I'm sure the quality is not as good as the professional IEMs, but it was certainly good enough from a monitoring standpoint. Also, they did not completely isolate from outside noise, but I actually like that because as a drummer, I do like hearing the stage a little. The volume was nice and soft and my ears thanked me later than night.

I'm very glad I didn't spend 300+ on a set of IEMs. In my opinion, they just are not necessary.

Sure hope you feel the same way in the future. What are you using to drive the earbuds? If it doesn

• Members

Fixed your post:

This past Wednesday, I pulled out my current Sony headphones ($40 ones that have the plastic piece over the ear)... I'm very glad I didn't spend 300+ on a set of IEMs. In my opinion, they just are not necessary
if you either play sitting stock still and/or don't mind headphones slipping on your head all night

:poke:

"Real" IEMs aren't necessary in your situation, perhaps. In mine, headphones simply will not cut it, nor will having less quality sound like you noted from your headphones, nor will having the kind of ambient leakage you described as well, and for damn sure, I don't want to have to continually worry about the headphones slipping forward/backward/off my head throughout a gig, especially in the middle of songs. MORE than necessary for me.

• Members

I agree that wired headphones are no big issue for drummers since (most) drummers don't move away from the kit. Also, my headphones have the piece that goes around your ear. the sony's fit quite nicely in my ear, so slipping is not an issue for me.

obviously IEMs are necessary for some. but i was just giving my opinion that they may not be required for some situations and/or some people.

Archived