Vintage Cutaway Classical Guitars

RJIO

• Members

I've been trying to find a specific vintage guitar that I came across, it had a cutaway and was nylon strung, I attempted to find one online, but I have discovered that I am unable to find ANY vintage nylon strung guitars that have a cutaway. Does anyone know of any models, or companies (or custom builders) that might point me in the right direction.

• Members

It depends what you mean by "vintage". When I use the word I'm usually thinking of a guitar of around 50 years old or more. There were not many (if any) cutaway classical guitars around back then so you'd struggle to find one.

Nowadays many makers offer them: Yamaha, Cordoba, Admira, etc etc.

• Members

It may have been an instrument  made in the 70's. I have still been trying to find it, as it turns out its difficult to find even steel strung acoustics that are pre 80's.

• Members
17 hours ago, daddymack said:

Possibly a Selmer Maccaferri? Those are about the only acoustic cutaways I remember from before 1970.

acoustic cutaways seemed to really emerge as the acoustic/electric thing picked up momentum...so, yeah, pre-1980 acoustic cutaways are not common, especially classical/flamenco nylon string instruments.

Was there a nylon string Maccaferri?

• Members

I believe there were, but the one I played was not one of those. It has a more traditional looking construction with a circular sound hole (not the oval or d shaped holes).

Archived