What dial lamp is this?

CanIBDom

• Members

Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some help with identifying this dial lamp that burned out in my vintage Meteor tube amp. It appears to be a #40-something bulb but I'm not having any luck with determining which one it is. The code 8V015 and a capital H inside a circle are stamped into the metal. Thanks everyone!

20200718_115915_2.jpg

20200718_115915_2.thumb.jpg.3dafb77f7e6fc4bfc8cd5f0357e493d6.jpg

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, CanIBDom said:

Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some help with identifying this dial lamp that burned out in my vintage Meteor tube amp. It appears to be a #40-something bulb but I'm not having any luck with determining which one it is. The code 8V015 and a capital H inside a circle are stamped into the metal. Thanks everyone!

20200718_115915_2.jpg

Are we talking about a Sears Silvertone 'Meteor' 1430 from the 1950s? or from the early 60s? Neither of these had a 'panel lamp' that I recall...so exactly what is this amp? Is this a Berbarian Meteor harmonica amp?

• Members

Looks like that amp used an unpopular flashlight bulb to illuminate the panel.  Chances are that exact bulb became obsolete many decades ago as LED's took their place in most applications.  There is hope however.  There are still several 3, 6, 12V screw in type bulbs available.  Unfortunately I couldn't find  jack on that bulb type so its number cant be cross referenced.  What you'll need to do is measure the voltage at the socket when the amp is turned on. My guess is, it uses the 6V AC filament voltage to light that lamp. The tube numbers should help identify the filament voltage. You can also try and find the schematic.  The piolet lamp voltage should be easy to find from it.  

Finding an exact match will be the toughest issue.  It might simply be easier to add a Fender style lamp. They are as common as dirt to find but you would need to replace the socket because the sockets are spring loaded and the bulbs gave pins that are push and turn type like tail lights on a car. If you post a picture it might be easier to determine if the replacement is easily possible. 

• Moderators

I won't swear to it, but the '8V015' designator the OP mentioned leads me to believe this could be a 8 volt driven lamp...or not. If this is the power indicator lamp, then, yes it should be identified in the schematic...if we knew what the amp was, which was my first question...

Archived