NGD! Guild T-Bird S-200

u6crash

• Members

Been looking at these for a while now. This one came up on Reverb for a pretty decent price with a case. The known defect on it was that there is a chip on the back of the headstock (which seems smaller in person than it did in the pictures). I get a pretty good sound out of it, but the low E string buzzes. The seller mentioned the frets had recently been crowned and polished and it was set up with 9s. I'd prefer 10s. My guess from preliminary exam is that the nut slot it cut just a shade too low and there isn't enough fall away. Maybe a truss rod adjustment would  do it. I'm too tired to tackle any of it now.

I've referred to this as the eye fungus guitar because it grows on me a little more each time I see it. It's bizarre when it is sitting still, but I feel like when you see someone playing one it looks amazing.

This is my reward for two years of not smoking cigarettes. I'm actually coming up on two and a half years, but was being more responsible with money on the actual anniversary.

For good measure, here's a video of Muddy Waters playing an original single coil:

s200_01.png

s200_02.png

s200_01.thumb.png.237f31eb74892ca2de90fc8139eebc2e.png

s200_02.thumb.png.37159db82858350d096a84cbb0f380b5.png

• Members
19 minutes ago, xStonr said:

I have always liked those guitars but can't justify ownership. Enjoy yours.

You wanting one is justification enough. I justified this by saying none of my current playable electrics have any sort of vibrato arm. I will use the vibrato rarely, if ever.

• Members
1 hour ago, mrbrown49 said:

Congrats on the guitar, and on quiting cigs! I know how hard that is, not having done it successfully myself. 

It took me two attempts. I used patches and was fortunate in that I could get them for free through work. For me it was clear sailing after four months, but those first three...tough.

• Members
On 7/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, u6crash said:

I get a pretty good sound out of it, but the low E string buzzes. The seller mentioned the frets had recently been crowned and polished and it was set up with 9s. I'd prefer 10s. My guess from preliminary exam is that the nut slot it cut just a shade too low and there isn't enough fall away. Maybe a truss rod adjustment would  do it.

Congratulations and Happy New Guild Day. :thu: Put a set of 10s on it and let it settle, then see if the buzz goes away. If it doesn't, check the setup to make sure the action, relief, and nut height are correct, and that the frets are level.

• Members
On 7/19/2020 at 12:10 AM, Emory said:

Same model, more or less, as Zal played with Loving Spoonful?

More or less. Seems like the pickups may have changed here and there.

1 hour ago, Guitarsforidiots.com said:

I have one of the new Jetstars and it is awesome, this is definitely next on my list for sure! Mine has the same pickups as yours by the looks of it, I haven't seen many demos of these though so def post one if you can! 

Anything in particular you'd like me to demo? Just got it back from the shop where they tweaked the truss rod and a did a bit of saddle work. Feels great now. Unfortunately, it seems like my amp is maybe acting up now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That looks BITCHIN'!  Congrats!  And good onya for quittin the coffin nails.  I never smoked but am a throat cancer survivor, and trust me, you do NOT want that {censored}!  Although I'm cancer-free a dozen years later, the nukes have {censored}ed me up good, my jaw and neck have been rebuilt at this point, and the osteoradionecrosis is an ongoing sitch.

I have one of the old DeArmonds, and it's a fecking great guitar.

spacer.png

• Members

Being a guitar player there;s not much that is more exciting than a new guitar day.

Possibly 

New Girlfriend Day.:D

I've kept more guitars. You know almost from the get go, if it's gonna be a keeper. Girlfriends,  well not so much.

Wives can have a breaking period too. Don't tell my wife of 11 years, who was my live in GF for 14 before that.

She called her self  the fiancee for a long time. I said will see. 

• Members

I used to have a 1963 with a refin and a headstock repair

sold that one

foto van Kris Claessens.

:bangheadonwall:

and now have this 1964 with single coils, strictly it's not a T-bird, the Guild folks are still debating what it is

it will be revealed in the forthcoming Guild Guitar Book

foto van Kris Claessens.

Archived