FENDER BRAND STRAT P/U CHOICE~~

ksl

• Members

Hope everyone's well,, I've been mainly a Duncan user in my strat, one pickguard with all Antiquity Surfers, another with SD Texas Hots, & a few with SD SSL2 SC's in middle & neck & a Little59 or Little78 in the bridge. All very fine sounding, but I really want a sound like the one in this clip,, guy's playing a set of Fender 57/62's, complaining about something, but I LOVE IT,,, He's only using what looks like the #2 position....through a TopHat amp ...

There's too many pickup choices in this world, and not enough years left, so kindly give me some good endorsements on these, or lead me to another that's even better, if there is. I've never owned a set of 5 or 6k pups..... I typically don't always play THAT clean, but I would do so more w/that sound, and I like a pup that can cut through when O'driven,,, FWIW, my amps are Budda TwinMaster, Morgan AC20 Deluxe, Vox AC30 1x12 model, & a Mesa DC3,,, But, I can't imagine anything that could better that exact sound, fingers & amps aside, but maybe they simply ARE that good!! Anything noiseless will never really get you there, right? Thanks in advance for all the advice!
peace & be well~~

Also, a very similar neck pup,,,

• Members

That sound very nice.

Loved the videos.

I have yet to change a pick up in a guitar that I own.

I have a 57 strat RI that came from Fullerton plant, I bought in 1984 and a 62 RI that a bought a few years later. I love the both.

My oldest start was purchased in 1980 from some kid in my hometown. It was made in 1974.

I have another strat that has lace pick up in it and was a bar gigger. That and a 62 Tele RI made in the Japan plant were my main choices and go to axes for years.

I do like Gibson stuff too and many stuff made by other companies.

My wife has asked me few times, how much my 40 plus years of guitars are worth. I told her it's worthless if you don't play guitar.

I think she was thinking I might kick the bucket one day soon and she could sell the whole damn bunch.

:lol:

Wives can be like that.

If my wife goes first, I'm sell this roll top desk that she sister  gave her and she could live with out. She never uses it either.

It will be out the door, before she is even in the cooler at that morgue. I'm just saying.

• Members

The set I liked best that I actually owned were Custom Shop 50s with a no load tone pot. I had one of the Fender 50th Anniversary Strats and I'm pretty sure that's what was in it. If I'm wrong on that spec, then it's whatever that guitar was loaded with.

• Members
2 hours ago, u6crash said:

The set I liked best that I actually owned were Custom Shop 50s with a no load tone pot. I had one of the Fender 50th Anniversary Strats and I'm pretty sure that's what was in it. If I'm wrong on that spec, then it's whatever that guitar was loaded with.

I'm a fan of the no load tone pot as well. 

• Members

What's the no load all about, & it's benefit? I currently go with an SSS w/1V, 1T, & a Blender pot,,300K+ pots,,, 550K vol pot on my HSS,,, If I'm not mistaken, it acts like a regular pot until it gets to the end, then it's essentially out of the circuit? True benefit?

Thanks for all the inspiration, folks!

• Members

13 minutes ago, ksl said:

What's the no load all about, & it's benefit? I currently go with an SSS w/1V, 1T, & a Blender pot,,300K+ pots,,, 550K vol pot on my HSS,,, If I'm not mistaken, it acts like a regular pot until it gets to the end, then it's essentially out of the circuit? True benefit?

Thanks for all the inspiration, folks!

Exactly right.  It jumps to infinite resistance at the top end, and there's a little detent so you know when your hit it.  It can simply be used for added twang, but I find it also makes the volume knob more useable.

• Moderators
On 7/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mikeo said:

I have a 57 strat RI that came from Fullerton plant, I bought in 1984 and a 62 RI that a bought a few years later. I love the both.

My oldest start was purchased in 1980 from some kid in my hometown. It was made in 1974.

I have another strat that has lace pick up in it and was a bar gigger. That and a 62 Tele RI made in the Japan plant were my main choices and go to axes for years.

I do like Gibson stuff too and many stuff made by other companies.

My wife has asked me few times, how much my 40 plus years of guitars are worth. I told her it's worthless if you don't play guitar.

I think she was thinking I might kick the bucket one day soon and she could sell the whole damn bunch.

:lol:

Wives can be like that.

If my wife goes first, I'm sell this roll top desk that she sister  gave her and she could live with out. She never uses it either.

It will be out the door, before she is even in the cooler at that morgue. I'm just saying.

Tell her you already promised all the guitars and amps to me...and the roll top desk, too! [yeah, I'm an antique collector too...]:bounce014:

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

Tell her you already promised all the guitars and amps to me...and the roll top desk, too! [yeah, I'm an antique collector too...]:bounce014:

The desk is not that old and not that nice.

I have a roll top desk that's about 25 years old. A while back the cloth on the roll top split, and I need to repair it. I use mine pretty much through out the day. I guess stuff doesn't last for ever.

The desk you want is the one my dad has has that was my grandmothers. It's a dark glossy cherry stained mahogany. My dad never uses it, but he wanted it. My grandmother left some pretty cool stuff, when she passed, probably for the 40's The guess bed room set has tow dressers. One is a low boy with a mirror and the other is a high boy with a fancy built in jewelry holder. It also has a matching dressing vanity with it.  Now the bed, is up in the attic and was cut down at one time. It was only a double. 25 years ago I found this very heavy aged gold brass Queen bed that went perfectly with the furniture. I ordered, and the woman that sold it to me said she lost money on it. There's also an old chest that is super nice and cedar lined.

I like that bed a lot, however my wife and I sleep in another room. We recently purchased a new bed for our room, along with a new mattress and box spring. I liked the two dressers that went with it, but they were huge. My wife has some smaller pieces she brought with her.

We tried the Temerpedic mattress and I thought they sucked. 

My dad's girl friend sold her rental house a while back and my dad asked me if we wanted this stand up closet. It's holds coats out in our 3 season porch, and it's cedar lined too. The finish is crackled and kind of melted. I could refinish it, but I don't dare too. That is in a light knotty pine.

There was this table in the house, but I put it up in the attic. My wife said it's called a calling table. The legs come down and fan out. It's pretty cool.

The piece I miss the most is a small coffee server table. It needed some work, but Luke jumped on it last year and broke one of the curved legs. I may have it professionally repaired.  The center comes down in a large spindle and 4  curved legs fan out. The removable glass top comes off as a serving tray. The glass has some scratches it, but is not broken. It's attached to a frame by rope and these itty bitty nails. If I was to have it redone, I'd probably have it glued in.

We also have and old dry bar.

I think my grand parent in there day were quite the party entertainers. 

The house is not that big either.

I got it basically for free and I was just gonna hat here for a few years and move on. I've now been here for 25 years:facepalm:

I replaced all the old windows with some Pella's. 24 of them. We use to have a skeleton key to get it.

At one time all the houses on the street were like cookie cutters. We bought the house next door as a rental The tenant have been there for 20 years. My wife and I saw NY state drug dealers looking at the place. I really didn't want it. Guaranteed money cause the tenant bad everything. She's younger than I am.  I have been down in that cellar a few times. I'm kind of scared of it. The furnace was put in in 1958 an was as big as my car. We put in a modern gas furnace. I  could almost pick the thing up. It costs me less to own that place than it used to cost me for my property taxes each month. Got a super cheap bank loan. I had my porch roof done last week. This week the roofers are working on that porch roof. It's hot and they knocked of at noon today. They are slow but neat and clean. We pump a few buck here and there into it, to make improvements. Tax write off to. My PCA is pretty good.  

The house after that is owned by and old crazy woman that hasn't done anything to her place in 50 years. She in her 70's too, maybe closer to 80. My dad said if she crooks he's by that property and putting up some garages.  My dad's 80 now, but he's seems in good health. His long time companion , not so good. She has had Parkinson for a long time, and she's old than my dad.

My wife insisted do a WILL last year. I have no kids and she has one son.

I asked my dad when the covid 19 thing hit, if he would take Luka and my 2 cats, if anything happened to us. My dad loves Luka and Luka loves my dad too. I told him he's a PITA. The cats are sweeties.

The only thing I collected is musical instruments, LP's from when I was kid, and the cd's. I still have 1500-2000 LP, from my youth in really good shape and probably 2-3 times as many cd. Cd's you can't give away these days. Vinyl sells for some ungodly amount of cash these days. If I have any instruments that are of any real value, it's only cause I bought them 40 years ago. I sold some amps tat I really didn't want to lift any more. I have a Marshall JCM 800 2x12 50 watt combo in my attic. It sound great, but I wasn't using it. The Twin Reverb is in the attic too.

At my dad's house up in the attic is heaps of Hot Wheels. Snake and Mongoose Drag sets, 2 sets of Sizzlers, a Power charge that plugs in to 120 volts. I have never seen another. A hot wheel tune up garage.

What freaking kid kept the box.

https://www.ebay.com/i/123718371821?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=123718371821&targetid=915708758100&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9001727&poi=&campaignid=10454995871&mkgroupid=101996179885&rlsatarget=pla-915708758100&abcId=2145998&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpNr4BRDYARIsAADIx9yFjD9GqjLCeMNTTCBXrbgGFHQjRWb42ESR77ihoO52LDHvPGjIDgMaAvuDEALw_wcB

I suggested  to my dad years ago, maybe he should hoe out the attic and he was like naw. You can do that when I'm gone. I was like thanks.

Between my dad and his gal companion they are worth a small fortune.  

Life has been a crazy ride at times. Today I recorded at a buddies place. Mostly backin vocs, but some acoustic guitar. He refuses to set up a grid and use a a click track. He's pretty spot on, but it can be difficult to edit stuff. It was work and killed some time. I have some electric guitar parts to add. I'm actually having some fun in my retirement, but I'm a bit bored.  My wife is officially retired now too. When she was young she worked two jobs to make ends meet. When she moved in with me, I told her to stop doing that, one job was good enough. She never really developed any life long hobbies. 

• Members

@ksl2 fairly different sounds there. Pretty sure the 1st clip is being played middle pickup only, from the brightness, pop*, lack of quack and the way it hums like crazy in the overdrive section.

I have a strat with a set of BG V60s here that has something of that sound https://www.bgpickups.net/product-page/v60  

Bryan (of BG Pickups) used to be a forum regular, and might still be although he was getting disillusioned some years back. He's a good guy, and worth talking to about the sound you want.

*just realised this is from a compressor - ignore that. 🙄

Archived