Sign in to follow this  
eusebiu_gagea

Standard G tuning

Hello everybody. I have a question, please don't lough to hard when you read it. Recently I've played 'Candles' by Daughter which is in standard G tuning. Why is it Cold that way? I don't u derstand. Is DGDGBE. Isn't D the lowest note here? Please help understand this.

On 7/12/2020 at 4:22 AM, eusebiu_gagea said:

Hello everybody. I have a question, please don't lough to hard when you read it. Recently I've played 'Candles' by Daughter which is in standard G tuning. Why is it Cold that way? I don't u derstand. Is DGDGBE. Isn't D the lowest note here? Please help understand this.

The chord when played with all strings open is a G6 [DGDGBE]...I have never heard this referred to as 'G Standard'.

I'm guessing you don't have much music theory background.

The lowest note is not necessarily the arbiter of the key. Look at other chords. If you play a 'cowboy chord' A major [or minor], the lowest note is E, which is the 5th of A.

D is the 5th note of the key of G.

what you have is a D[5th]/G[tonic or 1st]/D again/G again/B[the 3rd in the key of G major]/and E [the 6th in the key of G major]

I'm guessing you probably mean D G D G B D, which is "Open G" as garthman mentioned. I play in a version of "Open C" occasionally, E G C G C E. Some folks drop the 6th string down to C but either way it's still a C chord. As daddymack said, it doesn't matter which note is lowest, it's what the notes form collectively, although strictly speaking a chord that doesn't have the root as its lowest note is called an "inversion."

To the OP.

PS. If you intend keeping a guitar in open G tuning you can always take off the 6th string. That would then give  you a G note on the 5th string - the tuning would then be: GDGBD. Keith Richard used this method and tuning on a lot of the Rolling Stones early stuff. In fact, IIRC, someone made him a special 5 string electric guitar.

8 minutes ago, garthman said:

To the OP.

PS. If you intend keeping a guitar in open G tuning you can always take off the 6th string. That would then give  you a G note on the 5th string - the tuning would then be: GDGBD. Keith Richard used this method and tuning on a lot of the Rolling Stones early stuff. In fact, IIRC, someone made him a special 5 string electric guitar.

Keef is the master of the 5 string guitar.

He never seems to tire out his fingers.