Sign in to follow this  
DeepEnd

Interesting/unique acoustic

I was browsing on the local (St. Louis) CraigsList the other day when I stumbled across this unusual specimen.

Skylark.jpg.c5b5d239b1befebd4a7cc5cc5162b8e9.jpg

It's described as an Avian Skylark, designed by luthier Harry Fleischman and it's going for a relatively reasonable $800. Never heard of one before, much less seen one, and I need another guitar like a hole in the head but it sure is cool. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/d/saint-louis-avian-skylark-handmade/7144395050.html

does look interesting, but without knowing how it sounds or plays:idk:...

• Like 1

Looks very nicely done, but that style has its own niche, you either love it or don’t.  

Usually smaller  luthiers do an amazing jobs at building guitars.

No fret markers are a challenge for me .

It would be worthy checking out, as the price is not bad.

21 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

No fret markers are a challenge for me .

It has position markers on the edge of the fretboard. You can see them in this pic.

Skylark2.thumb.jpg.e9a3d898ccaae746182c35a44892ff9f.jpg

1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

It has position markers on the edge of the fretboard. You can see them in this pic.

Skylark2.thumb.jpg.e9a3d898ccaae746182c35a44892ff9f.jpg

got it

No fret markers on fret board is something of an inconvenience to anyone trying to play along in a jam setting. Friend of mine had guitar lacking markers AND he is left handed, which makes things even more fun! I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to either put stick ons or even some small holes filled with white epoxy or something as a courtesy. But what do I know? (not much)

Posted (edited)

If I were actually going to buy the guitar adding position markers might be something I'd explore. But I don't need another guitar, I don't really have $800 to throw around, and besides all that it's OM sized and I lean toward dreads.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mikeo said:

Usually smaller  luthiers do an amazing jobs at building guitars. . . .

While Fleischman designs the guitars they're manufactured in China in what's supposed to be a dedicated factory. Prices for new ones still run up toward $2600. I found a brand new non-cutaway Skylark on Reverb.com for $699+50 Expédition (shipping) but the ad is in French so I don't know if that's US or Canadian dollars. Could be leverage for someone who was actually interested.image.thumb.png.cc5ef650093ddc2053efed891d69a43b.png

Edited by DeepEnd