Steven Mal

First Looper Advice for $150-$200

I'm looking to get my first looper pedal but I'm having trouble deciding from a few options. My budget is $150 but if you can convince me, I would consider going up to $200. I mention this because you probably know about a great looper I've never heard of that might be slightly out of my budget. Currently I'm looking at the Boss RC-1, Boss RC-3, TC Electronic Ditto, TC Electronic Ditto X2, and the TC Electronic Ditto+. I don't know much about looper pedals so I'm struggling to differentiate between the TC Electronic pedals. If it fits my budget I'd like the ability to add multiple loops (layers?) together. The Boss and TC Electronic loopers seem to be some of the most common and popular but I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks.

It would depend exactly what you intend to do with the looper. Pretty much any looper will allow you to layer loops, so the what else do you want it to do?

I did a lot of research on them years ago when they were just getting traction, and I have both a Ditto and an RC-30. I rarely use the RC-30 now, although I bought it because it did so many things I thought I needed at the time, like storing tons of loops. I am considering selling both to finance an Aeros...but I likely will just keep the Ditto, as I find I'm using looping less and less in my solo act...hard to justify upgrading to the new state of the art when you don't use it...

I would suggest get the Ditto or Ditto + [note: buy used] and learn the tricks, get the feel [your sense of timing is absolutely crucial with loopers] and then if you feel you need more features, put the Ditto on Reverb.com and 'upgrade' to a Ditto x2, x4, RC-30, Line 6 JM4 or Jam-man.

4 hours ago, daddymack said:

It would depend exactly what you intend to do with the looper. Pretty much any looper will allow you to layer loops, so the what else do you want it to do?

I did a lot of research on them years ago when they were just getting traction, and I have both a Ditto and an RC-30. I rarely use the RC-30 now, although I bought it because it did so many things I thought I needed at the time, like storing tons of loops. I am considering selling both to finance an Aeros...but I likely will just keep the Ditto, as I find I'm using looping less and less in my solo act...hard to justify upgrading to the new state of the art when you don't use it...

I would suggest get the Ditto or Ditto + [note: buy used] and learn the tricks, get the feel [your sense of timing is absolutely crucial with loopers] and then if you feel you need more features, put the Ditto on Reverb.com and 'upgrade' to a Ditto x2, x4, RC-30, Line 6 JM4 or Jam-man.

I tried to do looping some 15 years ago.

Started with a Boomerang +.  Like this.

And a Roland RC 20.

I guess some folks do it well, but not me. 

I would never have the volume right on the Boomerang and there's no click track, when you off, you are off. There's an undue some where on the Rang.  I was dancing around like a baboon.

hgdq4uykboeazx1qou2t.jpg

For me John Lee Hooker did the drum beat box right.

No looper though.

I'd spend a bit more than 200, but that's just me.

Try one of the Roland, TC Electronics Ditto for under $200.

The Boomerang is a nice unit, but took up way too much pedal board space for my rig...and they are pricey [now about $500?]. On the plus side, if you use MIDI, the sync function is perfect, as is the MIDI start/stop. I think of the 'Rang' as the Hummer of loopers and the Ditto as the HR-V.😉

As I mentioned, you need to have your timing spot on to effectively use a looper, especially if, like I was, you are using a drum machine, or pre-recorded tracks.

daddymack, I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not to spend the extra dough on more features. More features cost extra $$$ and can make things more complicated but I've also heard that those features can be worth spending the extra cash. I don't know what features I really want, or if I even want to spend a little extra money to make things more complicated...then again, it sounds like I answered my own question. More research will hopefully convince me if any features are worth it. Thanks.

Don't bog down in 'analysis paralysis'...I would get my 'feet wet' with a basic Ditto...buy used, you can always resell it for the same price on reverb. Get experience, figure out what you really want to do with it...I still have my RC-30, but it is under utilized. Great features, most of which I determined didn't work for me...so I use a Ditto...which is where I should have started, but at the time, the Ditto wasn't available.

I went with the Digitech Jamman Express.  A little bigger footprint on the floor, more info lights...a little more friendly than the ditto.  But either is fine. 

Definitely get a small one before you make the jump to a big one.  And never a bad thing to have two...or sell the little one as mentioned.