Roland V-Drums

jgthatsme

• Members

Does anyone happen to know which Roland modules have (or had) brush stroke sounds in the sample library?  I don't mean the sound of a brush striking a drum, but rather the swoosh sound a brush makes when dragging it across the head.  Also, would those brush stroke sounds require Roland pads be used with the Roland module or could brush stroke sounds be triggered with other brands of pads / triggers?  Thank you for your help.

• Members

I searched Google.   I searched Yamaha's website.  Very little useful information.  I joined a Roland V-Drums user group on Facebook and got the answer.  If you want to know, a TD-8 kit seems to have the best brush implementation but the TD-30 also had great implementation.  The two newest modules, TD-27 and TD-50 have great brush sounds, but I believe they said there are no pre-configured brush kits.  You'd have to build your own

From around 1988 - 2002, I used DDrum electronics (the original DDrum stuff from Clavia in Sweden, not the junk DDrum stuff from Armadillo in Florida).  I now have a 2Box module and 2Box triggers which are made by the guys in Sweden who made the original DDrum stuff.  The only thing I ever liked more about Roland was they could produce the swoosh sound of dragging a brush over the drum head.  DDrum and 2Box use different technology, so you don't get the sound.

The DDrum pads had a real drum head.  The pads and module could produce the sound of striking a drum with a brush, but not the dragging sound.  If I wanted the dragging sound, I'd make sure I had a coated head on the pad and I would just put a mic on it.

My band is going to record a bunch of old jazz standards and ballads which require brush work.  I'd rather everything be electronic but looks like I'll put a mic on my snare drum to get the swoosh sound.  The Roland kits are ridiculously priced.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/10/2020 at 10:49 PM, 1001gear said:

Try the cardboard while you're at it. You can also swish a cheap mike with a windmuff on just about anything.

its difficult, but not impossible to swish a cheap mic withna windmuff on a ringtailed lemur...

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I use a TD-50 at church. I dont recall seeing and sounds for a brush slide. (I could be wrong)...that being said it would be easy to use a Roland SPD sx and record your own sample and load it.  Not much help I know but just a thought.

Archived