Sign in to follow this  
Brindleleaf

Could this be a good deal?!

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

This is my first time posting over here on the darkside. I've beenn playng acoustic a fair while and figure I can find my way around when deciding what to buy...but I don't have much experience with electrics.

I bought my first electric about 6 months ago (a Harley Benton TE-52 NA)...and really love it.

But the desire for something with humbuckers has been gnawing at me for a while, so I've been keeping my eye open for something.

I came across an ad this morning that is kind of intriguing. It's simply described as "my lg 15 electric guitar" (which doesn't seem to even exist on the whole of the internet ūüėĮ).

Looks like there's no name on the headstock (not a great sign, I know...), but that IS a Seymour Duncun bridge pickup...which doesn't match the other one, but it suggests someone was aiming for real tone out of this thing.

They are only asking 150 dollars for it...and I figure the SD pickup and the case are just about worth that even if the guitar is crap...

And it may not be crap...I can go have a look at it early next week with a bit of luck.

Any thoughts? Just for context...my HB telecaster cost about this NEW and delivered to my door...so I do wonder...

Screenshot_20200703-081051.png

Screenshot_20200703-135549.png

Edited by Brindleleaf

If you are able to try it out before buying and like it then all is well.

Yep, certainly will be able to. And I figure if it sounds okay and feels okay (without any of the common guitar problems)...then I'm not risking much.

Cheers.

To Brindlelif,

I understand..

But Pickups Should't be the 1st Choice, for an Electric Guitar..

I know well: I wind pickups since 7years..

> The 1st thing, as on an Electric Guitar: is the ''Diapason''(in French.. sorry: I don't speak English so well, 'cause I don't use in France where I Live, & School where I'd lurnt is 48 years far away: I'm near 66..),

= The distance of The 1st String in Vibration:

= 24,75'' for a Gibson Les Paul, SG

= 25,5'' for Tele, Strato..

= and the Best, because the 0nly 0ne with you can Hear the Perfect Equal Sound betwin Bass & Treeblles Strings: The 25'' !..

> Founf 0nly on PRS..

Wich cost a lot..

But Also on Replies of these Guitars, like the PRS SE series,

& better Price: the Harley-Benton CST-24: are the Same than PRS, withe 24 Frets, Mahogany wood

= so heavy.. but it Sounds !..

& 2 pickups Humbuckers, like on a LP or SG etc..

Mine: bought it like new, around $140..

With HB pu's:

- Neck : 7,25k

- Bridge : 14,20k

> Try to Play 0ne before to By an othet one:

= You should be surprised!

Bye, & have nice sounds..

23 minutes ago, Bob Morane said:

To Brindlelif,

I understand..

But Pickups Should't be the 1st Choice, for an Electric Guitar..

I know well: I wind pickups since 7years..

> The 1st thing, as on an Electric Guitar: is the ''Diapason''(in French.. sorry: I don't speak English so well, 'cause I don't use in France where I Live, & School where I'd lurnt is 48 years far away: I'm near 66..),

= The distance of The 1st String in Vibration:

= 24,75'' for a Gibson Les Paul, SG

= 25,5'' for Tele, Strato..

= and the Best, because the 0nly 0ne with you can Hear the Perfect Equal Sound betwin Bass & Treeblles Strings: The 25'' !..

> Founf 0nly on PRS..

Wich cost a lot..

But Also on Replies of these Guitars, like the PRS SE series,

& better Price: the Harley-Benton CST-24: are the Same than PRS, withe 24 Frets, Mahogany wood

= so heavy.. but it Sounds !..

& 2 pickups Humbuckers, like on a LP or SG etc..

Mine: bought it like new, around $140..

With HB pu's:

- Neck : 7,25k

- Bridge : 14,20k

> Try to Play 0ne before to By an othet one:

= You should be surprised!

Bye, & have nice sounds..

Bob, gotta disagree with you on a few things you said.

Yes the PRS can be expensive. BUT there is the import line that used you can find for under the  $400 USD mark

Danelectros also have the same scale of 25", and are far from expensive.

YOU may think the 25" scale sounds best, other will disagree with you completely. Me being one. I have been a Paul player for the vast majority of my life, and prefer the 24 3/4" scale. NOT due to sound, but to feel. 

Brindle, my best suggestion is always the same. PLAY IT before deciding. I think the Gibson scale is perfection, and think a good humbucker guitar is a thing of beauty, others prefer the Fender sounds of single coils. No one is wrong in their preference. But play it, and make sure the neck feels right, the body fits against yours, and that the weight doesn't bother you.

Badpenguin,

I understand what you tell..

But, Danelectro are not same guitars..

& 25'' is not New, but came from far away..

> 0nly Danelectro, PRS (USA) & SE series (from South Korea, & now China.?), & Harley-Benton (CST-24 series) Use this 25''..

- & playing more than 40 years (I'm near 66): I've played a Lot of Guitars, so I'm shure than 25'' is the Best..

> So you tell than you Prefer to Play Gibson LP: I think it's about kinds of Wood: which made the Vibrations of the Sound:

= the 2nd Choice..

- & the Last: the Pickups..

- I know well:

= like I told before: I Wind & Customise Pickups, thince 7y..

But they don't come in 1st in the Sound of an Electric Guitar: only in 3rd, so: at the end..

But are near so equal important..

But in 1st: is the Scale..

- & in 2nd: the Choice of Woods..

>Pickups come at the End: 3rd..

Let's play & have sounding Fun.!

3 hours ago, Bob Morane said:

Badpenguin,

I understand what you tell..

But, Danelectro are not same guitars..

& 25'' is not New, but came from far away..

> 0nly Danelectro, PRS (USA) & SE series (from South Korea, & now China.?), & Harley-Benton (CST-24 series) Use this 25''..

- & playing more than 40 years (I'm near 66): I've played a Lot of Guitars, so I'm shure than 25'' is the Best..

> So you tell than you Prefer to Play Gibson LP: I think it's about kinds of Wood: which made the Vibrations of the Sound:

= the 2nd Choice..

- & the Last: the Pickups..

- I know well:

= like I told before: I Wind & Customise Pickups, thince 7y..

But they don't come in 1st in the Sound of an Electric Guitar: only in 3rd, so: at the end.

That's nice you feel 25" is the best scale. And it's nice you have been playing as long as I have, and wind pickups. However, this isn't about you and your belief that 25" is the best scale. And no, they are NOT the only ones to use that scale.

This is about whether or not the OP is going to be able to enjoy the sound of the humbuckers of the guitar, when he is used to the single coils of his tele like creature. 

Personally, for the money I say go for it. Like you said, you can recoup the money with the bridge pickup and the case. (Oh, and by the way, the neck pickup is upside down, which tells me that the bridge pickup was wired in the wrong way, and it was easier for the person to reverse the neck pickup, then rewire the bridge. Out of phase and all that crap)

Good luck with the new beasties, and let us know how you like it!

Sorry, I don't see what the matter with the Scale 25''..

+ What with the Tele.?

& his Pickups, in a side or an other one = what with the Scale 25''.?

- You tell than you Wind pu's, but say Nothing about the Tellies pu's:

- What is important is not in wich side they're wound, but with Wich Kind of Wire:

- Awg43 for Neck,

- Awg42 for Bridge Since 1953 = Bigger, for more Presence, 'cause at the Saddles: Strings Vibrations are Stopped => at the Bride Pickup is not far away for ''0''..

> Like I'd said for my CST-24 Harley-Benton Humbuckers:

- 7,25 k for Neck

- 14,20 k for Bridge,

> because these 2 Pickups wound with same Awg42 wire,

= like All others..

> To this Day: I never Heard than it would Exist an other Guitar than Tele who gets Awg43 for Neck & Awg42 for Bridge..

> But it is the 0nly wright way..

- And Not to Use Charlie Christian pu's in Neck: wired with Awg38..

= the Most Big Wire ever existed.. just good for a Bass Bridge..

- I've learnt a lot..

& know to wire..

- Have a good WE, & nice Sounds,

Posted (edited)

LOL! I see why they call electric guitars 'the dark side' ...this is arcane stuff indeed! ūüėĮ

Bob Morane - I appreciate your thoughts, and since I've lived in France for the last 20 years, I would certainly understand you better if you wrote in French! ūüėÄ.

BadPenguin - that's pretty much what I was expecting to hear..but you said it very well. Play it before you buy and if it speaks to you, buy it! Got it.

In the vast majority of situations, I think that 'best' is pretty much a mirage, and you are right, I was not looking for perfection, just to see if I was missing anything obvious. And yes...I've never even played a guitar with humbuckers!

The funny thing is...I work with a few sound engineers and musicians,and they were stunned when I decided on a $150 guitar as my first electric guitar (the Harley Benton tele). But I had heard a lot of positive comments about it, and I knew for a fact that I have to milk this 'newbie' period for all its worth. I REALLY like the guitar I have, and could actually get the HB CST-24 delivered new for about $260'..and was tempted.

The deal breaker is, if I turn up at home with a slightly grotty used guitar, it won't cause many ripples...meaning sometime soon I could get a nice/new semi-hollow like an Ibanez or an Epiphone (maybe a cheap Gretsch)! This Les Paul knockoff is so cheap that it doesn't ready register s a NGD for my wife. (fingers crossed ūüėÄ).

Thanks for the advice

Edited by Brindleleaf

Posted (edited)

Brindleleaf,

Sorry, but if I write in French:

= nobody there will understand..

A very good idea to by an H.B. CST24: they are really good, & made like Gibson:

= Mahogany set Neck 24Frets + body.. & the 25'' Scale.!

> A little heavy, but you get the Sound or Not..

- Be shure for the Colour you choice:

- I¬†bought¬†mine ''2nd Hand'' (like New) for 140‚ā¨ (with a better Wraparound: for Each string, 80‚ā¨..)

- but Black.. & I really don't like.

> Is for¬†sale on a french website: 150‚ā¨..

- & I try to get the same in Red..

Have more Fun with better sound!

Bye,  B.M.

(I don't remember to send a picture:

please tell me how..)

Edited by Bob Morane
mistakes

On 7/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, Bob Morane said:

Sorry, but if I write in French:= nobody there will understand..

- but Black.. & I really don't like.

(I don't remember to send a picture: please tell me how..)

Je comprends assez bien le français...:wave:

√Ä chacun son bonheur. Le noir est ma couleur pr√©f√©r√©e, tr√®s chic et facile √† accessoiriser.ūüėČ Toutes mes guitares √©lectriques sont noires, tout comme la plupart de mes acoustiques, ukul√©l√©s, lap aciers et violons. [le SG brun a √©t√© donn√© √† un cousin, et a √©t√© remplac√© par un D'Angelico 335]

image.jpeg

pour les photographies, copier-coller, aucune astuce nécessaire!