dvkerner96

Can using a Bass Envelope Filter damage a guitar amp?

I was recently given an MXR M82 Bass envelope filter, and after trying it out on guitar for about an hour, it seems like my amp may have a slight loss of volume. I didn't have the amp on loud, it was only just above 2 (it's a tweed Fender reverb deluxe reissue, 22 watts I think), but I did experiment with the whole range of the pedal volume. There were some moments of extreme bass, more than I've ever heard from my guitar, but whenever that happened I backed off and changed the pedal settings. Still, I wanted to ask if anyone thinks that could have damaged my amp or even my guitar pickups in any way. It's worth nothing that even though my amp was only on 2, the pedal probably raised the volume by at least a number when I clicked it on. Still not huge volume, but enough for me to wonder if the neighbors might hear it (they live close). What do you guys think? 

at that  low a volume, doubtful...and absolutely ridiculous to think it had any effect on your pick-ups.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

IF at full volume, the extreme range "might", just "might", damage the speaker(s). Damage the amp itself, no, highly unlikely. As for damaging the guitar pickups, Uhhh, no, oh God, no. Beyond belief, not possible in ANY way shape or form.

Edited by badpenguin
  • Thanks 1

Uh... You guys know that the pedal only works with the frequencies it's given, right? It's not an octave pedal (which works JUST FINE with guitar amps) so it's not adding any bass frequencies that aren't already in the guitar's signal.

The difference between an envelope filter for guitar and one for bass is the Q and the sweep, basically. It doesn't add any frequencies on the low end.

Looking at the exact pedal in question it looks like what they did is take a regular guitar envelope filter (auto wah), tweak the frequency response a little, and add dry and effected mix knobs.

An envelope filter basically does the same thing as a wah. You know how many guitarists like bass wahs and don't hurt anything?

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 10:53 AM, GilmourD said:

Uh... You guys know that the pedal only works with the frequencies it's given, right? It's not an octave pedal (which works JUST FINE with guitar amps) so it's not adding any bass frequencies that aren't already in the guitar's signal.

The difference between an envelope filter for guitar and one for bass is the Q and the sweep, basically. It doesn't add any frequencies on the low end.

Looking at the exact pedal in question it looks like what they did is take a regular guitar envelope filter (auto wah), tweak the frequency response a little, and add dry and effected mix knobs.

An envelope filter basically does the same thing as a wah. You know how many guitarists like bass wahs and don't hurt anything?

Thank you for your reply!

• Like 1