ksl

Polarized & Non-Polarized AC Cord Connection,,,

Hi all,, I realize I'm playing it dangerously until I can get my tech to install a 3 prong,  but the AC cord simply crumbled on me & I want to put in a temporary cord. Now, with a non-polarized cord, either of the ends can go the power switch or the fuse tap, right? Right, but with a polarized cord, does it still not matter which wires go where? While this is only temporary, maybe the non-p cord would be better in case I'm getting hum...?
Thanks & be well.

If the amp has a 'polarity switch', then it won't matter, but if there is no polarity switch, then it does. [this isn't a lightbulb].

Why not just put in a 3 prong? The only difference is 'nailing' the ground wire to the chassis...

You still haven't identified the unit to us.

Do you have the schematic?

If you have an old amp it won't matter, for example, the old Gibson Skylark amp I have is just a two prong and it doesn't matter which way the plug goes in because it's direct to the power transformer and there is no attachment to the case at that point.

If you want to install a three prong plug then it becomes very important but only because of the relationship to other equipment and the fuse box. As you look face on at the male end of the 3 prong plug with the center plug down, the ground attachment must be to the right. Looking at the wall socket the left most slot and the lower ground plug connect together back at the fuse box.

Edited by ggm1960

Sorry, it's a BOGEN HE-10 mono p.a.head, & here's the schematic,,, So, with using the Non-Polarized cord for now, it doesn't matter which wire goes where,, to the On/Off switch or the fuse??

I wouldn't think it would matter, even with a Polarized cord, but just checking. Kindly run through how to install a 3 prong, & what goes where?

Thanks & stay well!

Kenny

20200625_015725.jpg

No the plug connection on that won't matter at all, it's probably designed prior to 3 prong plugs. I wouldn't actually recommend adding one but if you really feel you want too it would be important to either leave the round ground prong unconnected (best idea) or attach it to the ground side of the AC outlet. When you look at an AC outlet the slot on the left is ground (white wire) and live is on the right (black wire). I would connect the socket right side to the unit switch and the socket left side and ground prong together. It's very important though that the place is wired correctly, I've actually done gigs at places that were wired backward. If you're going to take that amp to gigs I'd recommend an outlet tester which are cheap and available at any hardware store. Under no circumstances would you ever want to connect any wire to the case!

Edited by ggm1960

umm...no, the white wire is NOT 'ground', it is 'neutral', and black is 'hot'. DO NOT join the neutral and ground. The ground lead [typically green] should be attached to the metal chassis somewhere.

DADDYMACK,,, Maybe this picture clear up any mystery & make the fix simpler. There's no ground switch, just the on/off switch on the left, & fuse holder on the right, both with remaining fresh wires. So, sticking with just a Polarized plug for now, the black hot wire from the narrower lug on the new AC cord, will go the the power switch,  & the new white wire will go to the fuse lug?

I'm simply taking out the old power cord & inserting it to exactly where it was before,  sound right?

20200704_215344.jpg

Edited by ksl

ummm...not.

Black wire from plug goes to one lug of the fuse assembly. A black wire from the other fuse lug goes to the 'in' side of the power switch [which looks like some body cut it apart]; the out lug of the switch will feed the transformer input...[which looks to be already there].

Are you sure you want to do this yourself?

Now, if one wire of the old two prong went to the fuse lug, where did the other old two prong wire go? That is where the white wire needs to go.