250 ohm, 5 watt resistor question??

ksl

• Members

Hi all,,, I'm in need of a funny looking 250 ohm, 5 watt resistor that goes across one of the filter cans... here's a pic, & what do they call it, & will ANY 250 ohm 5 watter work? I don't want to get the wrong thing.

Thanks again ~

20200627_184535.jpg

20200627_184535.thumb.jpg.eaa2af0101603fb303f8e69fdc524be2.jpg

• Members

It's a Bogen HE-10 mono P.A. amp, very cool small amp, to be modded. This is how it was done in the 50's, and I've seen a lot of worse factory jobs, like Bell & Howell, and Masco ~~

20200627_204550.jpg

• Members

If I wanted modern technology stuffed in there, I would have simply purchased some modern technology. I have that in my Mesa, 54's Gibson, Budda, Morgan, Vox, Egnater, & a modded Masco pa amp that sounds unbelievable!! Modding doesn't always translate to a total gut-job,,, To a qualified modder, a few choice value changes can take an amp built for amplifying 8mm sound from 60 yr old family outings, to a true vintage sounding rocking guitar amp that could do anything....

• Members

Hey 1001GEAR,,, honestly, I've been playing since I was 8, 1963. But, each day still brings something new, even if I don't practice... My home is in the pocket, locked in w/the bass & drums, & stepping into leadwork as it's called for... What a waste it would be if I couldn't play, but owned such vintage & boutique amps... Guitars are cool, but perhaps to your point, I get my sound from my fingers & amp choice, & navigate rather well through those idiosyncrasies. 

Peace & be well ~

• Moderators

I have rewired a few old Bogen PA amps over the years, but like I said, the worst I'd seen in decades, because it has been since around 1985 when I did the last one. When I played bass in the late 60s/early 70s, I had a modified 75W Bogen PA [from a closed Woolworth's store] and a 1x15 [from an old school projector]. I did a few rebuilds and upgrades in the ensuing years, but they became much harder to find by the end of the 80s.

Not all manufacturers were quite so 'sloppy'...Magnatones from that era, for example, are meticulously well wired.

• Members
8 hours ago, ksl said:

Hey 1001GEAR,,, honestly, I've been playing since I was 8, 1963. But, each day still brings something new, even if I don't practice... My home is in the pocket, locked in w/the bass & drums, & stepping into leadwork as it's called for... What a waste it would be if I couldn't play, but owned such vintage & boutique amps... Guitars are cool, but perhaps to your point, I get my sound from my fingers & amp choice, & navigate rather well through those idiosyncrasies. 

Peace & be well ~

Were the same age. I've been paying attention to music since 2 or 3 and what I hear from pop/rock/insert custom sub genre, is not so much music but 'the gig'. Just sacrastic like that; keeps me honest.

Archived